New
Find
Notify
Tools

270 hunting rifle
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Randy, a tip of my Texas cap to you, sir. You are an encouragement to anyone with a handicap: you ignore it and live your life. You are quite a man.

As for the .270, that is the rifle I grab when meat has to hit the ground. I don't remember who said it (Maybe O'Connor?), but the statement has been mad that the .270 performs like a magnum without the magnum recoil. And excellent choice, as I see it.

And as far as elk go, yes, a .270 will kill an elk. I have only shot one bull, but I did it with my .270 BDL and a 150-grain bullet. I would encourage you, however, to make sure you use a premium controlled expansion projectile. Shooting an elk is like shooting a horse, and you are asking a lot of a fairly small projectile, comparatively speaking.

My absolute best to you!

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Much appreciated advice from everybody. Thank you.

Posts: 517 | Location: North West South Dakota | Registered: 26 October 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Randy Routier:
Much appreciated advice from everybody. Thank you.

Good on you Randy and good luck.
If your happy with the .270 all is good. IMO the 7mm-08 is a nicer cal to use and there are a few loads to choose from on the reloading form last week. jc

Posts: 1138 | Registered: 24 September 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I watched my hunting buddy kill an elk last year with his 270, cup and core 150 gr. bullet. Bang, flop.

velocity is like a new car, always losing value.
BC is like diamonds, holding value forever.

Posts: 1650 | Location: , texas | Registered: 01 August 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
Our handloads with 150g Partitions in our 270s have always done the job on elk. We easily get 2900 fps out of our two BDLs with 22" barrels. I wouldn't be surprised if factory 7mm ammo shooting 150g bullets isn't much faster. I used to load them to 3030 fps but since my son's are shooting the 270s these days I've backed off my handloads a bit.

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4729 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Randy you have my admiration. Keep doing what your doing. .270 win is an excellent choice. I shot a mule deer at 445yds and a cow elk at 169yds this year with 130grain TSX bullets. To think of it, I also got two deer with it last year. It is a killing combination with light recoil. Chronograph your rifle and send your scope if it's a Leupold with all the specs.to them. They will install ranging dots on the reticle to match for less than a $100 bucks or turrents for a little more. Dots is all you need for the game you are after. one alternative is Burris, they make a laser range finding scope with matching red crosshair.
Keep hunting and building memories. You are an inspiration.
Charles

Posts: 1015 | Location: Brooksville, FL. | Registered: 01 August 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A 270 Semi-auto would fill the bill nicely. Good luck, just proves how tough us old rodeo riders are. You're THE MAN.

velocity is like a new car, always losing value.
BC is like diamonds, holding value forever.

Posts: 1650 | Location: , texas | Registered: 01 August 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
I respect your spunk and constitution sir. You are indeed a role model.

Having looked at your rig I see no reason not to go with a .300 Win Mag. Your rifle is held in a jig of sorts and no recoil is transmitted to your body. The .300 should down game out to 700 yds and beyond if need be.

Posts: 3672 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There are so many options I just really don't know what to do right now. Still researching everything. Thank you much for all the opinions and replies.

Posts: 517 | Location: North West South Dakota | Registered: 26 October 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd take a serious look at a .260 rem, on the lighter side for elk, but a major reduction in recoil compared to .270 and an excellent long range round.

I have one and it is a laser and recoil is minimal. I'd use it with 140 grain A-frame or 130 grain TSX for an elk within 200 yds.

Posts: 504 | Location: California | Registered: 04 February 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Randy, I have shot my .270 WSM out to 750 yards to good effect. Using 140 grain Bergers loaded to 3100 fps. It's a Winchester Model 70 Featherweight, which has been pillar bedded, with the 10 inch twist, 24 inch factory barrel, which has been free floated.

For your purposes, you could replace the factory barrel with a heavier profiled barrel with a faster twist, say 8 or 9. That would be a great rig, and you could use the longest, heaviest bullets you wanted.

Best,

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13384 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks like the 270 works just fine for you already. Go with it! Jack would be proud of you.

Bill

Posts: 39 | Registered: 12 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I ended up getting a Cooper Jackson Hunter .270. Thanks for the comments.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Deer, antelope and maybe elk, light recoil and up to 500 yards? That's got .270 Win written all over it.

Posts: 1928 | Location: Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: 30 November 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post