New
Find
Notify
Tools

best Barrel?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
looking to build a 25 wsm with a fluted barrel i've got it narrowed down to 3 barrel makers. Hart, Lilja, pacnor. has anybody had any experience with the lilja or pacnor. i own several hart barrels and i'm very satified with them but they are the most expensive barrel i've listed. just let me know what ya think. Thanks in advance.

Posts: 91 | Location: south carolina | Registered: 17 June 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The best barrels today are 3 groove and Nitrided.
They are very accurate, have higher velocity and last at least four times as long as regular barrels.
The only source I know now is:
http://www.savagegunsmithing.com/
(he works on more than Savages)
Twice as expensive but do the math.

A 25 WSM is essentially a homeless wildcat and the 25 WSSM essentially obsolete. If you want a hot 25, get a 257 Weatherby, at least you'll have something with a sale potential and many years of proven performance.

Remember, the longer the barrel, the faster it goes.

Posts: 801 | Location: Pinedale WY USA & Key West FL USA | Registered: 04 February 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
All three of the makers you list appear to only do button rifling. If you are willing to consider cut rifling, look at Rock Creek - excellent barrels and service.

BTW, I tried to get an idea of how you were determining high-low on pricing but without knowing barrel "quality" level and flute count/style I'd just be guessing. Rock Creek barrels are very reasonable. See http://www.rockcreekbarrels.com/

ELR Researcher
www.elr-resources.com
Not a commercial business.
ELR...anything shorter is point blank!
NRA Endowment Member
CRPA Life Member

Posts: 77 | Location: Redondo Beach, CA | Registered: 02 July 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of GSSP
posted Hide Post
Currently use both Lilja and Pacnor. VERY accurate barrels. The Lilja goes with my 30-06AI and the Pacnor my 9.3x62. Both 1/4-1/2 moa shooters.

Alan

Posts: 1719 | Location: Utah | Registered: 01 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Currently use Lilja and Pac-nor currently. Shot my Lilja .280Improved this weekend and at 302yds was shooting .36-.448 MOA. This barrel is the most honest barrel I own. It will shoot nearly anything. I used another for a 7mm-08IMP and was very pleased until the gun was stolen.

My Pac-nor is a custom contour in .257WBY MAG with .187" freebore. I have two more on order in .243 and .451.

With good barrels you can't go wrong. They are all pretty equal in my opinion. Even Shilen makes a good tube but I won't do business with them because of non-existent CS on a bad tube.

Posts: 518 | Registered: 28 November 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
All the barrels mentioned are excellent.
However, progress has been made in technology, especially when long barrel life is important.
The three groove Nirtrided barrels have less friction and are far harder than any untreated steel. Cost about twice as much but barrel life is at least four times regular barrels.
If you're shooting an 06' that goes hunting and might see 20 shots per year, there is no reason for it.
If your rifle is a 220 Swift that kills 1000 p-dogs per year or a special purpose barrel burner like my new 1000 yard gong ringer in 338 RUM, then it's a smart choice.

The gong ringer: (yeah that's a 36" barrel)

Posts: 801 | Location: Pinedale WY USA & Key West FL USA | Registered: 04 February 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Agreed, they are awesome for a gun that gets lots of rounds through it. I had one on an AR competition rifle. I've also used QPQ finishes for hard use moving parts with good success.

Most of my personal long guns see a couple hundred rounds per year. The government needs to pony up for better barrels at work since I do most of my shooting there.

Posts: 518 | Registered: 28 November 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
I shoot a Broughton on my 338 and it provides higher velocity and cleans easier than comparable barrels, although it is button rifled which some don't like.

Love shooting precision and long range. Big bores too!

Recent college grad, started a company called MK Machining where I'm developing a bullpup rifle chassis system.

Posts: 2598 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 29 March 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
With all makers you are going to great and not so great barrels. The better barrel makers will have far fewer not so great barrels and the worst of theirs will be better than the best mass produced barrels.

Saying that, one of the best barrels that I ever shot was a stock Savage blue steel barrel in 243. It took a couple of Kriegers to knock it off the top perch so cost isn't always the determining factor.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12534 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Use a Bartlien

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you; Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your sins, the other for your freedom...."

Posts: 426 | Location: Yakima, Washington, USA | Registered: 30 March 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've heard some big claims for nitriding, but 4 times the barrel life?
Proof, please.

Posts: 866 | Location: Western CO | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
BEST barrel, all of the mentioned makers make excellent barrels, and on occasion all barrel makers get a poor piece of steel that nobody could make a good barrel from. All three give very good customer service. Since you have had good experiences with your Hart barrels and it appears you are itching to try something different, flip a coin between the other two.

Posts: 869 | Location: N Dakota | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
All 3 are good.

I have had good luck with Lilja.

4,000 rounds out of one of his 308 barrels and it is still shooting .5 MOA

www.Bristol-bay.com

Posts: 36 | Location: Iliamna Alaska | Registered: 10 December 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
All three are great. I use mostly kreiger barrels but there are just not that many bad barrels out there. I have had good luck with most of them.

Posts: 44 | Registered: 07 January 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shot matches, XC and Long Range, for number of years and used both Krieger and Douglas. Truth of the matter both gave fine performance and lasted basically the same, near 3000rnds, either re throat or get another barrel. Did use a Shilen one season and OK, but did not get the life out of it as the other two, but shot well. Favorite old saying, "it's not the wand, but the magician" and same holds true for shooting I believe. Mr. Tubbs has in the past used "as issued" Rem. 700 Varminter to win matches. Go figure.

Posts: 1050 | Location: S.Charleston, WV | Registered: 18 June 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post