New
Find
Notify
Tools

6.5x284 vs 6.5-06
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Sirs I m planning in maka a long range rifle to shot at 800 yds max.
I m in doubt between these 2 calibers ,
The action will be a remington 700 long action .
I ll use 142 grs bullets and 6.5-284 oal is too long for a short action , so the only choice is a long action .
case capacity is quite similar in both ctgs .
anyone has experience to help me to decied which caliber

thank all in advance and had a merry chsmas

Posts: 66 | Location: Montevideo,URUGUAY | Registered: 14 November 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Many swear by the shorter fatter 284 for accuracy. I've never experienced enough difference between the two to worry about.

I don't really like a 284 in the 700 long action. It leaves a lot of room.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of Rather-B-Huntin
posted Hide Post
I'd consider brass availability. Around here, 6.5-284 is available, but '06 brass is in larger, easier supply. However, resizing .284 down to 6.5 is an easy, one step process. Going from .30 cal. down to 6.5 should be multi step and will shorten brass life.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded emotional and sexual maturity".

Posts: 258 | Location: Winfield, WV | Registered: 06 August 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of waterrat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rather-B-Huntin:
I'd consider brass availability. Around here, 6.5-284 is available, but '06 brass is in larger, easier supply. However, resizing .284 down to 6.5 is an easy, one step process. Going from .30 cal. down to 6.5 should be multi step and will shorten brass life.

I would think opening up a 25-06 case or swageing down a 270 would be pretty easy on the brass.

I tend to use more than enough gun

Posts: 1409 | Location: lake iliamna alaska | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of Rather-B-Huntin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by waterrat:
quote:
Originally posted by Rather-B-Huntin:

I would think opening up a 25-06 case or swageing down a 270 would be pretty easy on the brass.

I agree, the .25-06 and .270 would be easier to form.
.30-06 seems pretty universal, and considering that he's in S. America it might be worth considering. But I don't know? Brass may be as readily available there as it is here.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded emotional and sexual maturity".

Posts: 258 | Location: Winfield, WV | Registered: 06 August 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd go with either 6.5X06 or IMP version. I have built several 6.5X280 IMPs which give a little more capacity. These 06 based cartridges will feed in any action made for 270 or 30-06. The 6.5X284 is a bear to get to feed right sometimes. Of all the 6.5s my favorite is a 260AI. They will all do about the same thing, very little difference in any of them.

Posts: 2830 | Location: NC | Registered: 08 July 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have both the 6.5-06AI and the 6.5-284. I did have to open up the feed rails on my Mauser action to accept the 284 cases. Not a huge issue, but something to think about. On the 6.5-06AI, I would not do the AI again and just stick to the 6.5-06. The fireforming just isn't worth it, in my opinion. Wasted powder, primers and bullets. That is probably where I would go if I was you. Just neck down some 270 brass, trim and go shooting. I am still playing with the 25-06 brass.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
srose, you have a PM.

Shane Thompson

Posts: 125 | Location: Soda Springs, ID 83276 | Registered: 25 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have shot the 256 Newton, the 6.5-06, and now shooting a 6.5-06 Ackley.

Either the 6.5-06 or the Ackley version are easy to make by necking up 25-06 brass.

The 6.5-06 Ackley is a little more trouble but once the cases are formed it is a breeze to reload and shoot. I have switched to using Boron-Nitride coated bullets in that rifle and it just below 264 Win Mag velocities with those rounds. If I had to do it over again, I would just go with the 6.5-06 Ackley and not look back.

Barstooler

Posts: 876 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 February 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Winchester short action 6.5 - 284 with 30 inch Krieger barrel and HS precsion stock that I shoot 142 grain Sierra MK bullets in and it is wonderfully accurate at 1000 yds. I have not really shot it that much but, my best score to date was 592 out of 600 pts at 1000 yds. I load single rounds but my cartridges fit in the magazine.

All that said, I would choose a 284 Winchester if I were to do it over again....

Cliff
NRA Life Member
CMP Distinguished Rifleman
NRA Master, Short and Long Range

Posts: 436 | Location: Fulshear, TX | Registered: 28 May 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you Ammoloader for your reply

I would choose 284 caliber I think

What powder do you use generally with 140 -142 gs and 120 -130

Posts: 66 | Location: Montevideo,URUGUAY | Registered: 14 November 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
I have a 6.5 Gibbs, that would be very similar to the 6.5-06 AI in performance. As the guys above mentioned, fireforming brass every once in a while is a pain in the butt, but you don't have to do it often. Since the Gibbs has a 0.25" neck, I use 270 Win brass, so that I get a false shoulder "bump" for headspacing the fireforming loads. I don't recommend it to most folks, since the gains are very modest...especially compared to a basic 6.5-270 with a long throat, which is a lot less work (just a basic neck-down from 270W...no fireforming).

I recently acquired a Savage 6.5-284. Looking forward to playing with it. Probably will get 50-100fps less than my Gibbs, but with an 8" twist it will handle the VLDs better.

Posts: 7121 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Six of one, a half dozen of the other. Choose either and spend time practicing, not agonizing over caliber.

Quick, Cheap, or Good: Pick Two

Posts: 2141 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Raul, The Hogdon extreme powders are generally best for long range due to their temperature tolerance.

I use Hogdon 4350 (a rebranded ADI powder from Australia)and get about 2890 fps MV and excellent accuracy with a SMK 142 grain.

The next time I work up loads, I plan to try Hogdon 4831 SC. Should be able to get a little more velocity from it.

Also, most long range competitors seem to have switched to Russian primers (Wolf or Tula)due to seeing lower standard deviations across the chronograph.

Posts: 436 | Location: Fulshear, TX | Registered: 28 May 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raul Urrestarazu:
Sirs I m planning in maka a long range rifle to shot at 800 yds max.
I m in doubt between these 2 calibers ,
The action will be a remington 700 long action .
I ll use 142 grs bullets and 6.5-284 oal is too long for a short action , so the only choice is a long action .
case capacity is quite similar in both ctgs .
anyone has experience to help me to decied which caliber

thank all in advance and had a merry chsmas

Ive done some thinking on this choice myself and one thing I have learned is that if you go with the 284 variation there are actualy two versions of it. The 6.5 284 Win and 6.5 284 norma. They use different Reamers and as I understand it the Norma (Lapua) version it just a little thicker at the base of the case and so the Lapua brass doesnt work in the Win chamber. In other words, you need to decide which Brass you want to use before you choose a reamer.

Posts: 10134 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post