New
Find
Notify
Tools

Long Distance Bullets
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Thought about doing a Poll on what our Favorite Long Distance Bullets would be and then it dawned on me that I could not make a very long List. Roll Eyes What I've used for years still works for me, so I've not experimented with many others at the longer distances.

Sooooo, my Favorite L-o-n-g Distance Bullets for "Paper" would be:
1. Sierra MatchKings
2. Nosler Ballistic Tips
3. Bergers

Always had good luck finding Loads for those and for the most part, they tended to remain consistent from box-to-box. Not really fair to say that for the B-Tips since they made so many Changes to them, but each of the 4-Generations I've used has always been Accurate for me.

My Favorite Bullets for L-o-n-g Distance "Hunting" would be:
1. Nosler Ballistic Tips
2. Speer Boat Tail Spire Points
3. Old Hornady Interlocks
4. Sierra GameKings

Hard to pick the order on them though, because they all Killed great and some do better in different rifles than the other ones.

Somewhere in amongst the Hunting Bullets(for me) needs to be the First Class Nosler Partition. I realize it is not the Sleekest Bullet on the shelf, but I used them for a very long time. Used a whole bunch of 140gr and 150gr 7mm Partitions, as well as 165gr and 180gr 30cal Partitions at distance, and they Killed well - as would be expected - always.

What are your Favorite Paper and Hunting Bullets and why?

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For paper/steel/competiton it was Lapua Scenar 155 grains 308. It got good speed about 870 m/s and did well out too 600-700 meters. Hard to get 900 meters and nearly impossible for me to hit 1000 meters. Now i have shoot about 400 rounds with my new barrel and caliber. 243 win, and I have got good results with 115 grains dtac. At 1000 meter I hit much easier than 155 scenar in 308! SO my new favorite is 6mm dtac 115 grs in 243 win!

As hunting goes I have not done any long range.

STIGSmiler

Posts: 87 | Location: Norway | Registered: 28 August 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Paper/steel:

6.5mm Lapua Scenar 139 gr with a BC of .615
6.5mm Hornady A-Max 140 gr with a BC of .585
.30 cal Hornady A-Max 208 gr with a BC of .645

Game:
6.5mm Swift Scirocco 130 gr with a BC of .571
.30 Cal Sierra Game King 200 gr. with a BC of .560
6mm Nosler 95 gr BT. BC .379/ 70 gr BT
.22 cal Nosler 55 gr BT/ 52 gr Sierra Match King

Posts: 3427 | Registered: 05 August 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
I really thought more than " 3 " of us actually shot Bullets. You recon the rest are just Shooting-the-Bull? rotflmo animal rotflmo

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hot Core:
I really thought more than " 3 " of us actually shot Bullets. You recon the rest are just Shooting-the-Bull? rotflmo animal rotflmo

holycow

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not a bad list HC. I did notice the Folsum tip was missing.

For Paper, it's just hard to beat the Sierra Match Kings....

The NBT's are also a great bullet long range work, paper, or hunting. I typically use the heaviest avaliable, and often wish Nosler made them in heavier weight. They usually reserve those for the more expensive Accubonds, which in my experience, don't quite match the BT's for accuracy.

All of the other bullets you mentioned were on my list during my search, I was really hoping the speer BT's shot better then they did, they probably just didn't like the powder I was using.

Posts: 3034 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 01 July 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Antelope Sniper:
Not a bad list HC. I did notice the Folsum tip was missing.

rotflmo animal rotflmo

It's actually called the Folsom Point

I have friends that live there! Northern NM

One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
Paper and steel, the Sierra MK's and Hornady A-Maxes

Berger's have gone beyond my concept of what a bullet should cost. They are very good, but it's near impossible to shoot the difference.

Game animals, Nosler's accubonds or partitions, but the Older Swift .375's still shine on the heavy boned game.

Since I did buy in quantity years ago, I still have many of Jack Carter's original Trophy bonded bullets as well.

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't shoot long range, but do quite a bit of killing, 300 yds & under.

I'm killing with
22 cal, 60 gr. partitions, 70 gr. barnes TSX

25 cal, 100 gr ballistic tips, 100 gr. partitions, 110 gr. accubonds

6.5mm, 130 gr. Accubonds

.277, 130 gr. ballistic tips

.284, (7mm-08, 7mag, 7x57 & 7 stw) 140 gr. accubonds, 150 gr. ballistic tips

.308, 150 gr., ballistic tips and accubonds, 168 gr. ballistic tips and Barnes TSX

8mm, 180 gr ballistic tips

338, 210 Gr. Barnes TSX, 225 Gr. Accubonds

350, 225 gr. accubonds, 225 gr Sierra Game Kings

366, 250 gr Accubonds

375. 260 gr Accubonds

I find that the accubonds shoot as good as the ballistic tips and always pass through. Hole going in, hole going out. Almost always a blood trail. Almost never need a blood trail.

Excellent BC's, not as good as Match kings or berger VLD's, but not shabby.

I've had excellent luck with Triple shocks on deer, Accubonds on deer and hogs.

I've lost a couple hogs with triple shocks. But it may have been bad shot placement on my part
GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Geedubya:
I find that the accubonds shoot as good as the ballistic tips and always pass through. Hole going in, hole going out. Almost always a blood trail. Almost never need a blood trail....
For any Beginners reading this, those are the kind of statements you need to pay attention to. tu2 BOOM

One of Us
Picture of Ghubert
posted Hide Post
quote:
Don't shoot long range, but do quite a bit of killing, 300 yds & under.

I'm killing with
22 cal, 60 gr. partitions, 70 gr. barnes TSX

25 cal, 100 gr ballistic tips, 100 gr. partitions, 110 gr. accubonds

6.5mm, 130 gr. Accubonds

.277, 130 gr. ballistic tips

.284, (7mm-08, 7mag, 7x57 & 7 stw) 140 gr. accubonds, 150 gr. ballistic tips

.308, 150 gr., ballistic tips and accubonds, 168 gr. ballistic tips and Barnes TSX

8mm, 180 gr ballistic tips

338, 210 Gr. Barnes TSX, 225 Gr. Accubonds

350, 225 gr. accubonds, 225 gr Sierra Game Kings

366, 250 gr Accubonds

375. 260 gr Accubonds

I find that the accubonds shoot as good as the ballistic tips and always pass through. Hole going in, hole going out. Almost always a blood trail. Almost never need a blood trail.

Excellent BC's, not as good as Match kings or berger VLD's, but not shabby.

I've had excellent luck with Triple shocks on deer, Accubonds on deer and hogs.

I've lost a couple hogs with triple shocks. But it may have been bad shot placement on my part
GWB

Hey Geedub, where are the plain jane bullets that work so well, especially at long range?

The Remmington Bronze points, the Speer SPBTs, the Hornady Interlock BTs?

You only use "premium" bullets these days?

Posts: 11731 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 September 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hot Core:
quote:
I find that the accubonds shoot as good as the ballistic tips and always pass through. Hole going in, hole going out. Almost always a blood trail. Almost never need a blood trail....
For any Beginners reading this, those are the kind of statements you need to pay attention to. tu2 BOOM

No problem there HotCore,
I am a beginner when it comes to long range shooting. Has not been my discipline.
But at 300 yds. or less I've recoverd 1 TSX, and 1 accubond. Don't hunt elk, grizz or moose, but have killed near 100 hogs and deer with Accubonds.
As to the other points in my post, perhaps you can enlighten me as to factual error.
Or are you just being your usual obnoxious self?
Confused

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ghubert,
I guess I could say that one is seldom sorry for going first class. But that might sound elitist.

Rather, as I've said many times, I'm a meat hunter and the territory I hunt lends itself to shots of 200 yds and under. I usually can legally take five whitetail deer, exotics such as axis, sika and fallow deer, audad sheep. I am a low volume shooter. When I go to the range and develop loads it is for the express purpose of hunting with that load.
Everyone has to buy in somewhere. I shoot the hornady's in 17, 20 and 22 cal. For just about everything else I shoot Nosler. In the areas I hunt, the cover is very thick. If you shoot an animal and he is not DRT, you have to track him. Due to the nature of the ground cover, if you can't find where to begin tracking, within 10 feet of the point of impact, you're pretty much screwed. In Texas in winter, it can be 90 degrees F. If you don't find your animal within a couple hours, flies, vermin and other critters will already be workin' on him. There is no going back the next day during daylight and recovering edible meat.
In the late 90's, I started with ballistic tips on game. In the calibers .284 a number of times the bullet would not pass through. Consequently very little or no blood for tracking. So if you shoot an animal 15 minutes before dead dark and no blood trail, you're screwed. I don't like that. A second negative with ballistic tips, if muzzle velocity is 3,000 fps or better, under 200 yds. you get a lot of blood shot meat due to the frangibility of the bullet.
So I transitioned to Nosler Partitions. Expensive, yes, but effective. You get pass through, most times a blood trail, and less blood shot meat. However, no rifle that I have owned (over 100 in the last 20 years) would not shoot ballistic tips. Several would not group to my satisfaction with partitions.
Then the TSX's and Accubonds arrived on the scene. I had never been able to get the Barnes X's to group to my satisfaction, the XLC's were better, but expensive. I tried the Triple shock. For the most part I've been happy with them. However,I've also lost several hogs that have been shot and it seems the bullet penciled through. Probably bad shooting on my part. The deer I've shot with TSX's are usually DRT.
However, the Accubonds have become my go to bullet. Last couple years I've been taking more game with the 25's, 6.5's,.284's. I've almost exclusively loaded with accubonds in those calibers, 110 gr. 130gr. and 140 gr. respectively. At 2900 fps and under at ranges of 200 yds or so, complete penetration, very little blood shot meat. I've developed go to loads for the 10 or so chamberings that I most often kill with. Twenty four dollars +/- for fifty bullets don't break the bank at this point.
Best
GWB

One of Us
Picture of Ghubert
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the detailed reply Geedub.

I only use moderate velocity cartriges, I can see that if I shot faster magnums I would need to use premium bullets, especially at closer range.

Just a small note, Accubonds here cost about 50 dollars a box, partitions 60 dollars, TSX's 65-70 dollars and Sciroccos 110 bucks a box of fifty.

I've learned to love heavy for calibre conventional projectiles for all my hunting, at range or not. hilbily

Posts: 11731 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 September 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ghubert,

I do very little mail order business, my local gun shop stocks Barnes,Hornady, Nosler Sierra and Speer. I stop by there every other day or so as it's on my circuit. I'ts also a good place to soak up some A/C and to take on some liquid and let a little out.

Bullets are quite a bit cheaper here in Texas.
You can see the prices from some I have in my inventory..........

Best
GWB