New
Find
Notify
Tools

The TTSX vs Longe Range?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
How does it compare to the Accubond for accuracy and performance on large game? Thinking of the 120's or 150's in a 7 STW for elk. Thanks in advance.

Posts: 402 | Location: Colorado Springs, Colorado  | Registered: 15 January 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of griz78
posted Hide Post
FWIW. 308 150gr TTSX. Painted over a 3 shot group from 200yards. Unpainted 3 shot group at 300 yards.

Posts: 357 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 27 March 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shoot 30cal 180gr TTSX's out of my 300WBY @ 3050fps and 150gr @ 2800fps out of my 308.

Sub 0.5 moa accuracy & perfect on game performance.

The TTSX is a big improvement over the non tipped TSX - the hollow point the tip sits in is massive.

My dad & I actually recovered one last year from his bull elk: He was using a 30cal 180gr TTSX at 2950fps out of a Win mag & shot the bull "head-on" in the left side of the chest at about 150yds. We found the bullet perfectly mushroomed in the back rear right leg under the hide. I haven't had a chance to weigh it, but it appears to be fully intact. I'll try and steal it from him this weekend & weigh it for ya.

Posts: 132 | Location: WI. | Registered: 02 June 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The performance on big game is stellar. The most recent kills were last season on a bull elk at 350+yds for me (168 TTSX 300 RUM) and a cow elk at 410yds for my youngest daughter (150 TTSX 300 WSM)
My oldest daughter is about the use the 130 TTSX in her 270 WSM on a Dall sheep.
I'm not the worlds best bench rest shooter but with working up loads we can keep any of these rifle shooting sub MOA.

Zeke

Posts: 2270 | Registered: 27 October 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
At long range I would like something softer to ensure expansion. I suspect the tip helps, but I think that really tough bullets have a place, but it's probably not at low impact velocity where you risk them acting like a solid and punching a small hole.

That said, I haven't used the TSX's much at all, but i've seen some used by friends that have been recovered.

Posts: 224 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 15 July 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree with ARWL..to a point.

One thing I've seen is weird things can happen with any bullet if impact is faster than 3500fps or slower than 1800fps.

I'd want to keep the TSX at or above 1800 impact velocity but I think the TTSX could produce accepable results slightly below that based on it's slightly different construction.

(this is based only on my experience with both bullets and a couple really LR kills with the TTSX)

Zeke

Posts: 2270 | Registered: 27 October 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think in the 150 grain version it is the best bullet I've shot out of my 7mm Rem Mag for all around performance. I have killed 3 elk with it, 2 past 300 yards and they don't travel far after being hit but it really performed on a 270 Lb boar at 513 yards walking away the bullet broke it's spine and a part of the hip.

It groups almost as well as the Nosler ballistic tips this rifle just loves and much better than accubond, partitions, Sierras etc.

If there is a better larger game bullet out there I haven't seen or heard of it. I really dragged changing the NBT's because they were so accurate - 3 holes covered by a dime at 100 yards. But I finally experienced the dreaded blow up / fragmentation on a big bull's ribs and didn't want another 600 yard trailing job with a palm sized entry wound after perfect bullet placement.

Posts: 299 | Location: California | Registered: 10 January 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
Whatever bullet you choose, I'd go heavy for a better BC for long range.

Love shooting precision and long range. Big bores too!

Recent college grad, started a company called MK Machining where I'm developing a bullpup rifle chassis system.

Posts: 2598 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 29 March 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of GSSP
posted Hide Post
The new LRX's should help a bit with their 1600 fps minimum opening and higher BC's.

I've got a great load for my 6.5x47 running the 127 LRX at 2800 fps. At my nominal 9,000' to 11,000' elk hunting altitudes, I should be good to 700+ yds.

Alan

Posts: 1719 | Location: Utah | Registered: 01 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
The guys I know that shoot game at long range are either using Berger or Sierra MK's.

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I haven't used any of the Barnes Long Range bullets however, the TTSX is my go-to bullet. I've been shooting 150's through my .280 Akley. Outstanding accuracy: 3" at 400 yards. I haven't shot at extreme ranges but would like to. I have killed two mule deer (1 shot kills) with it- one at 100, the other at 200. For me, I prefer terminal performance over maximum BC.

Posts: 1057 | Location: Washngton State | Registered: 14 June 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post