Find
Notify
Tools

1000 Yard Load Question
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Sam
posted
I'm looking for a sanity check on an idea and load. 5.56 at 1000 yards, most folks call it marginal but this is the plan this month. As I mentioned earlier today I'm going to shoot the 1000 after our National Match Course. I plan on loading Berger 80 VLD's over Varget. My regular load is a 77 SMK and 24 gr Varget in a CCI 400 primed WCC case. I haven't had problems with the primer but plan on using a Wolf Magnum for the 1000 yard load and trying both 24 and 24.5 gr loads.

As a sanity check, has anyone tried this load combination? I figure if this load doesn't work for 1000 yards I'll use the rest of the Bergers for 600 yard loads.

PS. Early apology if you read this in another thread. Some people only read 1 or 2 threads.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work.

Posts: 1254 | Location: Norfolk, Va | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
I shot a similar load at 1k. It will work for sure, but will be difficult compared to better calibers at that distance. It sounds like it will be a fairly stout load based on memory ,but I may be wrong.

Love shooting precision and long range. Big bores too!

Recent college grad, started a company called MK Machining where I'm developing a bullpup rifle chassis system.

Posts: 2598 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 29 March 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of Sam
posted Hide Post
I had thought of skipping the 5.56 for this but the only thing I'll be out is a couple of bullets if it doesn't hold very well. I had started planning in March and went to the Atlantic Fleet Match and we weren't allowed to shoot AR's at 1000. The logic was that after years of trying to make it work, it just wasn't suited for 1000 yards. I've seen enough people shooting it to give it a try though.

Posts: 1254 | Location: Norfolk, Va | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sam,
The load you stated is one I used at Oak Ridge, Tn. for 1000yds sometime ago and it will get there, no question about it, but best score I ever got with it was in low 170's. Used both 15 match rifle w/ 26" barrel and bolt gun w/26" barrel and both were 7 twist. The load of 24.5 of Varget a bit on the warm side but did work in my rifles without sticky cases, etc.
As you know that target face is 6' square and for some reason would get hits either up, down, right or left on edge of paper out of black for no apparent reason?? I always used the Sierra 80's, never tried any other bullets. Tried the same rilfe/load at Palma few times and can clean the 800, but after that, all bets are off. It definitely is a challenge, but as they say, you have to be a "hard holder."

Posts: 1328 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 19 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of Sam
posted Hide Post
Finally got a chance to shoot a 1000 yard match. After missing 2 and having 2 cancelled for weather my club added one last weekend. I shot the following load in a RRA NMA2:

Berger 80.5
25 grains Varget
Wolf Small Magnum Primer
Winchester virgin brass

Seated with the bullet shank boat tail junction at the base of the neck.

Shot a 140-2X. Took four rounds to get on target, had 2 misses during my string. Don't know where the first one went, the second one was at 9 o'clock just off the target on a wind shift.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shoot 25 grs of Varget behind a 77 MK and it works great and shoots great. I have only shot it to 900 yards but it shoots really well.

Sam

Posts: 2830 | Location: NC | Registered: 08 July 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of GSSP
posted Hide Post
If Varget does not work well the two other big gun powders to try are H4895 and TAC.

Alan

Posts: 1719 | Location: Utah | Registered: 01 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for posting your results. It sounds like 1k is quite a challenge with a 223.

Posts: 861 | Registered: 13 November 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have any of you tried WCC-844 or 846" That is the powder the military is loading the 223 and 308 with.

thanks,

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shooting an " AR " with Heavy Bullets & Max Loads.

You might checkout:
http://www.davidtubb.com/ar-15-carrier-weight-system

New Springs ?:
http://www.davidtubb.com/ar-15...both-carbine-and-std

All competition legal !

PAPI

Posts: 432 | Location: California | Registered: 01 August 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of Sam
posted Hide Post
I'll probably try it a couple more times. I need to pay a little more attention to the wind.

I haven't tried too many powders. Varget for 5.56 and RL15 for .308 so far.

This years score problems are caused by lack of shooting this year.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Idaho Sharpshooter
one of us
Posted 16 October 2011 00:28 Hide Post
Have any of you tried WCC-844 or 846" That is the powder the military is loading the 223 and 308 with.

Idaho Sharpshooter Is that the same powder??

RL-15 Smokeless medium rifle powder
The best all-around medium speed rifle powder providing excellent .223 and .308 caliber performance. Selected as the powder for U.S. Military's M118 special ball long range sniper round.
Broad caliber range
Consistent in all temperatures
High velocity varmint loads [copied]

Posts: 1134 | Location: SouthCarolina | Registered: 07 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
If you mean is R-15 the same as 846 or 844, no it isn't. Those two powders are very close to BLC-2.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
RL-15 is just another batch of Norma 203B. According to Norma they use RL-15 in the factory and we buy it over here as RL-15. It is just not to the standard of Norma 203B.

For what I shoot 203B/RL15 is my powder of choice.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
For what I shoot 203B/RL15 is my powder of choice.

yea, me to, for the .260, 7MM-08, & .308 and sometimes 30-06. RL-15 or some times I go with 4064

Posts: 1134 | Location: SouthCarolina | Registered: 07 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post