THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LONG RANGE SHOOTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Long Range Shooting    Anybody have Sierra 5th edition?

Moderators: MS Hitman
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anybody have Sierra 5th edition?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Looking to see velocity possibilities with the 300RUM for 220 and 240gr MatchKings. Also what barrel length and twist is listed?

Thanks

Andy

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member
TDR Cummins Power All The Way
Certified member of the Whompers Club

Posts: 2973 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Andy,
pm me with your e-mail and I'll scan and attach the page 622 from the 5th edition.

But, for now,
220 gr HTBT matchking, COAL, 3.575" Accuracy Load, 100.6 gr. AA-8700, 2,800 fps. 3,830 ft. lbs. 26' BARREL, 1 IN 10 " TWIST

240 gr HTBT matchking, COAL, 3.575" Accuracy Load, 89.8 gr H-870 (no longer available), 2,700 fps. 3,885 ft. lbs.
Note: requires 1 in 9 twist.

Just for shits and giggles, the two different 300 Rum's I've owned, (Sendero and 700 police)
I fed them with 168 gr. Nosler ballistic tips, 102 gr. Retumbo, 3.630 OAL, Fed 215M primers. IIRC, they hustled along at +/- 3,400 fps. Never kicked ass on anything over 300 yds. But they would turn a turkey inside out at 250 and jelly a deer for at least 1' in diameter around the point of entry.
Best
GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Geedubya! I actually have two lbs of H870 left over from my 7 STW days! US869 is the current powder from Hodgdons that is supposed to replace 870. I have been told with the velocities possible from the RUM 1-10 may very well be ok for the 240s.

Andy

PM sent

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member
TDR Cummins Power All The Way
Certified member of the Whompers Club

Posts: 2973 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Andy,

you've got mail!

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There was a guy over on 24 hour that had a Browning A Bolt in 300 Win Mag that he had rechambered to 300 Ultra Mag.

He was shooting 240 grain Match kings out of his 1 in 10 twist barrel exclusively, I PM'ed him about stability problems and his indication was with the increased velocity potential, they stabilized just fine.

Just passing this on via third hand here, so take with how many grains of salt you want..

I asked as I was contemplating picking up a Model 70 in 300 Ultra that were on close out for like $350 at Bi Mart Locally.

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Seafire, the info about twist rate was included by Sierra. I typically tend to shoot "light for caliber" so I could not comment in this instance.
GWB