THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LONG RANGE SHOOTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Long Range Shooting    Designing a long range rifle stock, what is important?

Moderators: MS Hitman
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Designing a long range rifle stock, what is important?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Greetings
I am pondering the following issue: aspects to take in account when designing a long range rifle stock...I saw a lot being posted regarding a barrel, action and types of scopes...very few posts, if any of the importance regarding the design of a stock to compliment your long range hunting rifle?
I would like your input, and would surely value your opinions regarding this issue....

Kind Regards

Gert Odendaal

Posts: 113 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 22 August 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of thecanadian
posted Hide Post
My dream LR stock would have the following features:

• Vertical Pistol grip with palm swell
  • 2.5 inch wide beavertail forearm
  • High rollover Monte Carlo cheekpiece that is custom fitted for my scope set up.
  • Butt hook
  • glass beaded action
  • Must have 'coolness factor' i.e. custom colors

"though the will of the majority is in all cases to prevail, that will to be rightful must be reasonable; that the minority possess their equal rights, which equal law must protect, and to violate would be oppression."

---Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1085 | Location: Eau Claire, WI | Registered: 20 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Decide what position you're going to be shooting from, sitting or prone. I say that because cheek pressure and sight alignment are most critical for long range and each of these positions will require something different. Adjustable cheekpiece and/or buttplate are critical to me. Contact someone in the South African Bisley Union or see if you can visit the matches at Bloemfontaine (sp) and talk to some long range shooters and check out their equipment. Choose the features from these rifles that you believe would be good to have on a hunting rifle.

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

Posts: 826 | Location: Randleman, NC | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
the canadian/clowdis
Thank you for the replies...you mentioned a "butt hook" please elaborate ....what is so special regarding a butt hook, its function???

Usually I would use a sitting /prone position...have not done this type of shooting yet..but it is part of a long period planning...I intend to buy a Strata composite blank and design my own long distance /sniper /hunting stock.with adjustable cheek piece/and recoil butt piece...
I want as much information regarding design as possible....

Posts: 113 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 22 August 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
A butt hook is a small area in the stock for your supporting hand when prone.

The "right" stock as others have said depends on positions planned to shoot, weight, other limitations, and most importantly, what you prefer after some hands on experience.

Love shooting precision and long range. Big bores too!

Recent college grad, started a company called MK Machining where I'm developing a bullpup rifle chassis system.

Posts: 2598 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 29 March 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think he's talking about a buttplate like this one http://www.champchoice.com/detail.aspx?ID=1262 with the hook that runs under your armpit. Popular in smallbore over here but they kind of frown on them in highpower competition.

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

Posts: 826 | Location: Randleman, NC | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
I know what you are speaking of, but I think this is the butt hook referred to most likely:

http://media.midwayusa.com/Pro...ges/Large/638977.jpg

Love shooting precision and long range. Big bores too!

Recent college grad, started a company called MK Machining where I'm developing a bullpup rifle chassis system.

Posts: 2598 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 29 March 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you kindly for the replies, I did some research on the issues regarding a long range hunting/sniper rifle stock...this is what I came up with...I will be working towards this type of design but still value inputs from hunters that have already went through this process.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Those are some of the more sophisticated options, but you've got it.
Comments about your intended use also apply.
My long range shooting is mostly varmint hunting at high elevation, 11,000 to over 12,000 feet, or elk hunting at over 8000'. Weight and simplicity are important for my use. I am using a Greybull stock on a rifle that weighs 13.5 lbs, yet is accurate enough for rock chucks at ranges beyond 1200 yards.
One disadvantage to the stocks pictured is the difficulty using a bag type of rest under the butt. I carry a light bag when hunting that can quickly be placed under the butt of the rifle, then slid forward or back to adjust elevation. The stocks you have up would be difficult to to this with.

Posts: 866 | Location: Western CO | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cobrad
Yes , your type of hunting is really at extreme elevations...I will be doing in future when I will be fortunate to complete the long distance stock project and acquire more knowledge regarding this type of hunting, hunt on rather flat surfaces like the Karoo, Freestate,Khalahari in South Africa all rather flat elevations...as I mentioned , I would still like any comments from hunters who has been where I am at this stage...still learning and in need of knoweledge...as to the "How to" factor

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The above rifle ought to work just fine. Whose stock is that?

One of Us
Picture of thecanadian
posted Hide Post
Looks good to me!

"though the will of the majority is in all cases to prevail, that will to be rightful must be reasonable; that the minority possess their equal rights, which equal law must protect, and to violate would be oppression."

---Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1085 | Location: Eau Claire, WI | Registered: 20 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Clodis
Google GRS Stocks...it is a Scandinavian company ...it is for a ultra modern look...