Tools

208gr AMAX in 30.06
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Ghubert
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rcamuglia:
Check out the 155 Lapua Scenars. They are blowing away anything shot in a .308 and in the 06 would be awesome!

No good mate, a 308 with a 30" barrel can easily match if not exceed a 22" 30.06 with 155gr bullets and quite probably match it with 175-190 grain bullets.

The only advantages over those guys I will have is a scope, a bipod and heavy bullets.

I'm putting an incline base on it for this, normally to shoot the tikka at 1000 I need to aim at the top of the range-in-use flags behind the stop butts and several along if the wind is up.

I believe it's called Kentucky windage and Arkansas elevation where you're from.... hilbily

I've got to admit, I was sort of inspired in issuing the challenge by you and Larry's little bet. Cool

Posts: 11731 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 September 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of Ghubert
posted Hide Post
First observations are that this is a bloody accurate bullet in my rifle.

The wind was quartering at between 5 and 19mph but the total horizontal dispersion at 600 yards was under four minutes.

The total vertical dispersion for 54-57.5gr of H4831 was about 13 minutes.

I will not be bothering with the lower node and load up a few around the 57.5 grain mark to see which chronos out at less velocity variation.

The nodes seemed around a grain and a half wide, if you know what I mean, should I try .3gr increments around 57.5 to +-1.5 gr?

Posts: 11731 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 September 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I really hope you didn't mean "Minutes" of dispersion at 600 yards.

Less than 1/2 a MOA would be good.

Posts: 3427 | Registered: 05 August 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of Ghubert
posted Hide Post
quote:
I really hope you didn't mean "Minutes" of dispersion at 600 yards.

Less than 1/2 a MOA would be good.

homer

Sorry, I've changed it in the post, 13 minutes of vertical dispersion.

It wasn't unexpected as by calculations the difference inn drop between a projectile at minimum load velocity and max should be around 11 minutes.

The 4 minutes horizontal was not great of course but in the blustery wind that ranged between barely perceptible and about 20mp gust from 7 oclock, it was much as expected given I wasn't dialling in ( sporting scope remember ) and trying to shoot at calm wind.

I was under the impression it was mainly the vertical dispersion we were concerned with in this method?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I still think you're confused a touch Big Grin

13 Minutes of vertical dispersion at 600 yards is equal to about 78".

Posts: 3427 | Registered: 05 August 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
13 minutes at 600 yards.

13 x 6 = 78 inch group.
That's a big target board.

Posts: 3034 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 01 July 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of Ghubert
posted Hide Post
quote:
I still think you're confused a touch Big Grin

13 Minutes of vertical dispersion at 600 yards is equal to about 78".

homer homer homer

I appear to have a slight issue with writing numbers in the wrong boxes and not checking before saying something stupid...Sorry 13 and 4 were my comeups and windage from a 200 yard zero from the morning session.... hilbily

The ladder was about two and a half minutes high by a minute and bit wide.

Hope that makes more sense.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That sounds more like what I would expect.
SOP is to zero at 100 yards, and have all come up from 100, assuming you are dialing in the comeups.

Posts: 3034 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 01 July 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ghubert,
The 208 A-Max shoots real well out of my 22 inch barrel. I have been using 59 grains of RL22 and getting groups that measure from .3 inches to a little under .5 at 100 yards. The only problem is that out of my rifle this load only produces 2560 FPS. Where I shoot 800 yards is the max distance and it does very well at this yardage.

I have been up to 61 grains of powder but the accuracy fell off very badly.

Regards, Keith

Posts: 208 | Location: S.W. Wyoming | Registered: 31 May 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of Ghubert
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Keith1:
Ghubert,
The 208 A-Max shoots real well out of my 22 inch barrel. I have been using 59 grains of RL22 and getting groups that measure from .3 inches to a little under .5 at 100 yards. The only problem is that out of my rifle this load only produces 2560 FPS. Where I shoot 800 yards is the max distance and it does very well at this yardage.

I have been up to 61 grains of powder but the accuracy fell off very badly.

Regards, Keith

Great Load Keith, shot better than my H4831 load.

One of Us
Picture of Ghubert
posted Hide Post
I lost...... hilbily

Kept up for 2 shots, misread the wind somehow and put one in the white at 2 o'clock, then bull for next shot, 3 for the last one at 9 o'clock.

Could have bloody done it if I'd shot straight....... Mad Big Grin

Thanks for all your help chaps.