Holland quick discharge B
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of londonhunter
posted
I am building a plains game rifle and will be usising it on stick

Recoil is not a problem buti would like something that allows less muzzle flip

Will not be using it prone so please no lectures about bush fire or dust

Has anybody here tested or used a holland quick discharge on something like a 378 weather by ?

What does it feel like ?

Posts: 1661 | Location: London | Registered: 14 February 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Please excuse my ignorance, but just what is a "quick discharge?" Is this what I call a muzzle brake??

Posts: 1328 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 19 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of londonhunter
posted Hide Post
I suppose its just a marketing name or ploy

If you goggle Holland long range shooting muzzle brake you will find it

I am really looking forward to hearing from somebody who has actually field experience with this design of brake that's all.

Posts: 1661 | Location: London | Registered: 14 February 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
"Quick discharge"? Damn, I was thinking of something completely different! Thought someone else had the same problem I did.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
londonhunter, I do not have experience with the Holland brake on a 378 Weatherby, I do have four of Holland's brakes on my heavy recoiling handguns and they are most effective. The newest version is the radial design and that's what I'm currently using. I'll be having another on installed on a 270 WSM soon. I have shot several brakes on many different handguns and Holland's has got to be one of the most effective IMHO. Best of luck--Mark Hampton

Posts: 144 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 19 October 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have not used one in the field myself but on the recomendation of a collegue i installed one for a customer who was looking for less muzzle flip and felt recoil so he could stay on target and have quicker follow up shots. It was only a 7 Rem Mag, but when he returned from his AZ Elk hunt, he could not have been happier with the results. He said the Holland's break worked exactly as he had hoped it would. For whatever that is worth...

Curtis

Posts: 706 | Location: Between Heaven and Hell | Registered: 10 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of londonhunter
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys mine HQDB has been fitted / proofed and ready for first firing in the coming days

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just installed another one today. They are good looking breaks. Looking forward to test firing this one.

Curtis

Posts: 706 | Location: Between Heaven and Hell | Registered: 10 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have one on an Encore pistol barrel chambered in 6.5/270JDJ - by far the most effective brake design I've ever used. Almost zero barrel rise. Got another one coming for an long range XP-100 build.

Posts: 43 | Location: Coastal SC | Registered: 03 December 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
London; not to piss on ya chips but, they just look like any other muzzle brake to me.

Im sure that it will be effective, most are, Ive seen "homemade" muzzle brakes cut down huge amounts recoil.
I have a radial ported break on my 338 Lapua recoil is closer to a 308 but the concussion is something else,and bystanders learn real quick to stay behind the shooter!

Just be sure that your PH is ok with a muzzle breaks, they can be funny about things like that

378 sure is getting up there for plains game, my choice if I were to go again would be 7 Rem Mag with a good quality bonded bullet.
I would love to use my 284 WIN or 338 Lapua but if ammo got lost Id be screwed!! IT HAPPENS.

Off topic I know, but just check with your PH that he is ok with muzzle breaks and factory 378 Whetherby ammo is avaible at a gun shop where ever you fly into or google it and ring them yourself to check they stock it.

Regards RUNAS

War is inevitable, if idiots are in charge of countries

Posts: 162 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 15 March 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shot the 300 Win Mag today. The break does reduce recoil well, but not as much as some breaks i have used. It did however, do a far better job at reducing muzzle flip than any break i have used. I could see what was going on at the target through the scope all through the recoil pulse and then get right back on target. I'm sure that with guns as large as 378, there is only so much that can be done. I was quite pleased with the results on the 300 Win Mag though.

Curtis

One of Us
Picture of londonhunter
posted Hide Post
Well I have shot the rifle now and I can highly recommend this contrature to anybody. For 90 bucks it is well spend

The ability to reagin sight picture quickly not that one needs a follow up shot

Reduction in recoil is secondary

I really wish somebody introduce me to a muzzle brake earlier

As to the legality in afirca, I don't recall any issues that cannot be overlooked with the help of a large tip

As to noise a muzzle brake generates

One should always wear hearing protection when using a firearm

In effect one is saying it is ok to shoot without protection at 110 decibel but not at 125 db when hearing loss starts around 95 db or above ...... It's not even an argument

As for lost ammo

This argument is only Internet BS

I send ammo forward to local gun shop for storage in fact I send enough for a few years of hunting

Loss ammo is a myth churned over and over again by the Internet

It does happen but not as often aa it used to be 20 - 30 years ago

Let's just enjoy hunting on real safaris rather than Internet talk my friend