Find
Notify
Tools

Question
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of ovny
posted
Hello, I have a Weatherby Vanguard Synthetic rifle in 300 Weatherby Magnum cartridge. The rifle has a barrel length of 24 inches. Do you find a suitable rifle for shooting long distances?

Thank you,

I am Spanish

My forum:www.armaslargasdecaza.com

Posts: 1131 | Location: Spain (Madrid) | Registered: 11 June 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
You won't get the total potential velocity wise with a 24 inch barrel with that cartridge. That being said as long as the gun is accurate it will do fine.

KA Firearms Customization LLC
Firearm Coating, Gun and Optics Sales
www.kafirearmsllc.com/

Posts: 370 | Location: Buxton, ND | Registered: 13 April 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of ovny
posted Hide Post
quote:
You won't get the total potential velocity wise with a 24 inch barrel with that cartridge. That being said as long as the gun is accurate it will do fine.

Thank you very much, I have read that the minimum length should be 26 inches but I've also read that the loss of speed in those two inches is not very large. I have yet to test the rifle thoroughly. In Spain the issue of shooting ranges is complicated, there are few and expensive.

I am Spanish

Posts: 1131 | Location: Spain (Madrid) | Registered: 11 June 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of youngoutdoors
posted Hide Post
I used to shoot the same rifle and with reloads I averaged 3208 FPS with 180 grain bullets. I have since rebuilt the rifle but killed alot of game out to around 400 yds the way it was from the factory except for glass bedding-floating, trigger work. They shoot pretty good as-is.

God Bless, Louis

Posts: 1368 | Location: Mountains of North Carolina | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You must give us your definition of long range. If under 600 yards, then your rifle should be quite adequate if accurate and with proper loads.

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of ovny
posted Hide Post
Thank you very much for your reply, I will use my rifle as it is. In Spain, stalking deer, chamois and deer, and I do not think the distances exceeding 500 meters. But I also like to know if this rifle is suitable for example for a Marco Polo hunt or similar ram.

Regards,

Oscar

I am Spanish

posted Hide Post
I know Marco Polo sheep have been killed with handguns, so I would hazard a guess your 24" barreled .300 mag is more than adequate for the job as long as you can hit where you aim.

If ignorance is bliss; there are some blissful sonofaguns around here. We know who you are, so no reason to point yourselves out.

Posts: 2389 | Registered: 19 July 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of ovny
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MS Hitman:
I know Marco Polo sheep have been killed with handguns, so I would hazard a guess your 24" barreled .300 mag is more than adequate for the job as long as you can hit where you aim.

Hello, you may talk about the 300 Winchester Magnum with 24 "barrel, which I think managed to burn all the powder in the barrel, but with the 300 Weatherby Magnum think the powder is not burned properly in 24-inch cannon take the cartridge Roy more of propellant, logically missing some features.

Oscars.

I am Spanish

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ovny:
quote:
Originally posted by MS Hitman:

Hello, you may talk about the 300 Winchester Magnum with 24 "barrel, which I think managed to burn all the powder in the barrel, but with the 300 Weatherby Magnum think the powder is not burned properly in 24-inch cannon take the cartridge Roy more of propellant, logically missing some features.

Oscars.

Oscars,

What is your bullet velocity measured closest to the muzzle? I suspect it is greater than what most handguns can generate. I still suspect you will have enough gun for Marco Polo sheep even with the unburned powder.

If ignorance is bliss; there are some blissful sonofaguns around here. We know who you are, so no reason to point yourselves out.

Posts: 2389 | Registered: 19 July 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of ovny
posted Hide Post
quote:
Oscars,

What is your bullet velocity measured closest to the muzzle? I suspect it is greater than what most handguns can generate. I still suspect you will have enough gun for Marco Polo sheep even with the unburned powder.

You'd be surprised how hard simple is on some people.

Hello, I do not know what the muzzle velocity generated by the bullet. Right now I, I have no chronograph. It will be my next gift at Christmas, God willing of course. Then I see the real benefits of my rifle. So for now I'm content to know how far can a bullet fired from a cannon of 24 inches. For example in the sales page DoubleTap Ammo Ammunition gives the following data for a bullet of 168 grains, with barrel 26 "and 24". I copied it verbatim:

Caliber : .300 Weatherby® Magnum

Bullet : 168gr. Barnes TTSX

Ballistics : 3400fps - 4314 ft./lbs. - 26.0" bbl. Weatherby Rifle
3320fps from a 24" bbl Weatherby Vanguard.
Box of 20rds.

I am Spanish

One of Us
Picture of mdvjrp93
posted Hide Post
Ovny the rifle will more than shoot the 500 meters you asked about. I have yet to see what the scope is that you are using. With your rifle, the right scope and lots of pratices you should be able to shoot 800 meters. Do you reload if not then you need to find the right factory loads. The only way to do that is to shoot diffrent bullets from a varity of manifactures.

1 shot 1 thrill

Posts: 340 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 14 December 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post