New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fuji Release the X-Pro1 /travel light safari camera
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
hi gents . This must be the ultimate travel light safari camara.
This one an 2 lenses, a small flash an you have what you nead if you not are a wildlife photografer then you nead minimum dslr and a 300mm

http://www.digital-photography...-the-fujifilm-x-pro1

hunt safe
wisent

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
man yo aint kidding a great (looking) camera. I held off on an x100 because I wanted more lense options so here they are! I think they chose some very good primes. Fantastic!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
thanks for respons baxter B
just found some prices
boddy 1699 usd
Prims : 500-700 usD

hunt safe
wisent

Administrator
posted Hide Post
I am afraid I am one of those who isn't convinced of these half measure cameras.

I use an SLR when I am able - my current favorite is the Canon 7D.

If for any reason that is not possible, I carry a Panasonic FZ150.

I have been using one of these FZ series since the FZ40, and I like them a lot.

For a pocket camera, I carry a Canon SX230.

I was given a Panasonic GF3, which I have not tried yet. I have ordered an underwater housing for it, to use underwater instead of the Canon G12 that I have been using previously.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 67080 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
I disagree Saeed. I don't really see this as a half-measure camera.

I think people gravitate to the products that serve them the best. What this camera is doing is filling a small niche that the M9 or the Fujix100 fills. the guy/gal who wants a compact camera that is quick and produces good pictures. There is a segment of the population that is not tele-prone and I am one of them. Then again I;m not a wildlife photographer or sports action photographer either. I;m more interested in what is happening within 50 feet, than at 200 yards. This is where this camera will do well. or for scenic shots where zoom isn't the point.

With the APS-C sensor, I;d take this any day over a 2/3 system but then I;m a guy who actually gets prints made, while most people do not. In that case almost any 1Mp 2/3 system looks fine but I like making 8x10s and have found that more is better in that instance. Your 7D is one friggin amazing camera for sure and it's got the same sized sensor with only 2mp difference, which aint much.

Can't wait to get my hands on one for sure. Loved the x100 but though the lack of lenses was a pretty bad negative. This thing looks like it might have a new home!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
well spoken baxter B.
Right this camera is the poor mands leica M.
I think the pric is ok and the primes are good to. go with the 18 mm and the 90mm in a smal camera bag and you have what you nead in camp, city etc.
hunt safe
wisent
www.photokirk.com

in danish

one of us
Picture of DMCI*
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
I am afraid I am one of those who isn't convinced of these half measure cameras.

It is an interesting question. Once again I must agree with Saeed here. Even the Leica M9 which is so pure it must be made by ANGELS does not get me the complements that I get from my D2x with the Nikkor 28 F1.4 for the "clarity and crispness". Now that is a pretty big package and is even bigger when I attach 17-35 F2.8 for flexibility.

Now the question though as suggested above, what camera do you carry when you don't want to be entangled with the weight. I personally like the little NIKON S7c which fits nicely in any pocket. But as Saeed suggests, the reduction in overall quality means the shot is merely an acceptable record of events.

In my view the tradeoff is in the quality of the optic and not the camera.

--------------------

EGO sum bastard ut does frendo

Posts: 2821 | Location: Left Coast | Registered: 23 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Even the Leica M9 which is so pure it must be made by ANGELS

Not Angels, the sensor is made by Kodak.

Your example may be true but it does not make either the M9 (or any M-series for that matter) or the Fuji a half-measure camera. In order for that to be the case, the M9 or the Fuji would have to be trying to be something it's not, and it's not. Well, kind of...it is trying to be the poor man's Leica and time will tell if it is or not, but it's got a good start. As I said, it's filling a small niche where any FX or even full-sized DSLR does not fit, literally or figuratively.

Just curious, if you consider the Fuji (and by extension the M9) a half-measure. What is it trying to to that it can't? It may be a half-measure for your use, but as I stated, everyone chooses the gear that works for them, just because the big, heavy FX sensor cameras do;t work for me doesn't make them half-measures, it makes them not applicable to my type of usage.

One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
I've been a camera hobbist for well over 60 years. I have also been fortunate enough to have made 8 safaris and take most of the available big game in Zimbabwe. I have owned probably in those 60+ years some of all the best pro equipment in existance. That was the film era,i'm not doing well at all in the digital era especially with prograde equipment. I feel that I will probably be well served with the Fuji as mostly what I shoot are memories. For my 8 sfaris I carried Canon Elph's simply because they fit in the shirt pocket and would therefore be available 100% of the time. The original APS cartridges also held more frames than any 35mm of the time and when they went digital more the better. Only once did I carry any 35mm equipment and it was 2 Leica M6's with a superwide and a fast 85mm and they served well. I care absolutely nothing for video so I'm not concerned with that aspect. Also the large Digital pro equipment takes up one heckuva lot of lugagge space which would be a severe cost factor for me. My current equipment is very bulky and unless travelling by car I don't relly carry it much. So the Fuji has the quality and size that I think is going to appeal to a lot of us old timers and I'm thinking very seriously about one.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Zimbabwe,

You are the exact type of person I referred to above: You want high quality but in a package you WILL carry around and not leave back at camp (or wherever) because it's too bulky.

However, If I had two M6's, i'd stuff them full of TriX400 or maybe Tmax 100 B & W and forget about it. :-)

One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
The Leicas were replaced by Leica SLR's which have gone away with the advent of digital and Leica digital is only for the most priviledged of which I definitely am not one. I am definitely thinhking about getting rid of a couple of nikon D2h's and some lenses and obtaining one of the Fuji's and if it proves to be what I think it is,I will get rid of the rest of my SLR equipment. To late in years to learn such new tricks.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote