Find
Notify
Tools

WTB: Digital SLR for Safari
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of SBT
posted
I'm pretty ignorant when it come to cameras. But, I want to buy a digital SLR with appropriate lenses for an up coming Zimbabwe safari. The trip may include some national park wildlife viewing if I fill out early. Just so you know, I'm budget conscious.

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4780 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
There are many that will do what you want. What is your price range?

The Canon rebels are good for an entry DSLR.

I know Saeed uses a Panasonic fixed (but with zoom) lens but not sure what model.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The canon rebel xt with an 18x50 zoom would do the job, being small, light and with 8 mp available. They usually run around $300. You must have a telephoto lens of at lease 300 mm. It adds a lot of trouble. You may want to go ahead and buy a Tamrom 28-300 zoom and a doubler to cover all the bases.

My family all preferred to see the digital video I took with my Panasonic/Leica Dicomar which allowed D-video and had a 3.1 sd capacity card. It was small enough to fit in my cargo pants but every time we spotted an animal to stalk I got so excited, I forgot about everything else.
Have fun.
Frank

I took lots of photos but I already had an Eos xd 30 at the time. I would have preferred a smaller in between size.
I also carried a finepix in my pocket but it only had a 2 mp capacity and I wished I had something a little bigger to get more detail.

Posts: 6935 | Location: hydesville, ca. , USA | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. I just missed a Canon on E-bay with a 18x50mm and 50-200mm lens. It sold for $335. That is within my budget.

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4780 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
On eBay I see Nikon D60 cameras in the $180 to $300 range, but not with telephoto lenses out to 200mm which would have to be added if wildlife photography is one of the uses.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
I just bought a Nikon D3000 kit with 18-55mm VR and 55-200mm AFS VR. I hope this will be OK. I am into it for $408.00.

One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
It is definitely capable of taking good pictures and there are probably several good instructional books on learning how to get the most from it. Here's a link to one:

http://www.nikonians.org/forum...2&mesg_id=1972&page=

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
Thanks Wink, I think I'll get one.