THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM PRACTICAL PHOTOGRAPHY FORUM

Moderators: Pete E, Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone try the new Canon powershot sx40 yet?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of edholum
posted
I was looking at getting a new camera, I don't think I'm ready to jump into the dslr world yet. Would this be a good camera for an amateur who wants to get good quality images but can pack on hunts as his main camera? I would mainly be taking wildlife shots (I like the big zoom the sx40 has) and of course landscapes and trophy photos.

Anyone have any first hand experiences with it? Thanks

"Conservation through Hunting"

Posts: 260 | Location: SE South Dakota | Registered: 20 April 2009Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I did play around with it in the shop, but ended buying the Panasonic FZ150.

Which I can highly recommend.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 67059 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of edholum
posted Hide Post
Thanks Saeed,

What is your opinion on the video capabilities of the panasonic fz150? Does it stay 1080 while zoomed in? Sorry I am obviously green when it comes to knowing this stuff.

Thanks

"Conservation through Hunting"

Posts: 260 | Location: SE South Dakota | Registered: 20 April 2009Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
The video is very good in good light conditions.
But, it is not upto a good video camera standard.

This, by the way, goes to all cameras with video capability.

Even very good video cameras tend to suffer in relatively poor let areas.

Last week I videod a school performance at my daughter's school, using our XF305 semi-pro video camera - it costs about $10K.

The video was great, but, the parts where I had to zoom in showed some pixelations.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 67059 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you show your pixelation in Alabama you can be arrested for indecency.

Posts: 1069 | Location: Mentone, Alabama | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of namibiahunter
posted Hide Post
I have the earlier Canon SX30IS with the 35x zoom and it does give you great telephoto capabilites for the long shots. I find it a bit bulky for use while hunting and, more and more, I find myself going to the Sony XMor R with 16.2 megapixels/16x optical zoom/1080 full HD movie/small and compact. I keep it in my shirt pocket and it's much handier than the SLR-like camera that I have in a camera bag in the truck.

Posts: 665 | Location: Oregon or Namibia | Registered: 13 June 2007Reply With Quote