New
Find
Notify
Tools

help with a camera bag
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I just bought a sony a55 with a ouple of lenses 1 being telephoto. As you can probably tell I'm very green when it comes to digital photography and will undoubtly be asking lots of questions as I learn about this.

I need a good camera bag that is not too big that will protect my camera and extra lens. Most of my hunting is done horseback and I would like to be able to carry the camera equipment in my saddle bags, but also be able to carry it with me when hiking. Please give me some recommendations, Thanks

Posts: 197 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 23 October 2009Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
The best advice I can give you is to go to your camera store and see all they have to offer.

Camera bags have all sorts of different facilities, you won't know what you weant until you see it.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 67076 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
I'll suggest getting 2 bags, one that fits your camera with any lens you have mounted that you can quickly remove the camera from, and a second bag that will hold all your junk, including your camera, and protect it from all the elements including rain. I have missed quite a lot of photos because the camera takes a few extra seconds to get out, and also when you are outside and it is windy, dusty, or rainy you will not be changing lenses anyway.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, I made it into town last night and found a hard case that will fit inside a large saddle bag. Should be enough room for the camera and maybe 2 xtra lenses. Mark, thats a good idea about 2 bags. I'll start looking for a little carry bag for hiking around with. I'm looking forward to getting out and doing some photography. I think it will help my hunting skills quite a lot.

One of Us
Picture of cessna
posted Hide Post
Just another direction maybe, Domke makes padded divider pouches that fit into non-camera bags. I have a couple that fit into old military messenger bags, and one that drops into a saddle-bag. Goggle Domke dividers and take a look. I had a friend who is a wedding photographer put me onto these. Just a thought.

Posts: 430 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
I have two dedicated bags.

One is an old Tamrac (5606?) with a 3 divider main compartment and 2 side velcro pockets and a zipper front with pockets, the front will just hold a 10" netbook if the pockets are empty. The main will hold an SLR w/small lens and room for 4 more lenses standing up.

Mine is an older style than this.

The other is a holster type that will hold the camera with a semi tele lens standing on-end with two more lenses, one on each side and a zipper front for extra batteries etc.... This is my walking around bag.

Posts: 6405 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
this cut be and idea if you are on the horse.
http://www.cottoncarrier.com/2...deointrocarrier.html

hunt safe
wisent

one of us
Picture of DMCI*
posted Hide Post
My Nikon system consists of several lenses, an D2x, and an F5.

I have two cases, one for the camera I am using and one for everything else. The first one looks sort of like a well known brief case and is therefore a little stealthy which makes it less of a target than the traditional soft case.

It general has the D2x and the lens I am using along with Charger and Flash as shown here below:

The other case is a heavy plastic one and protects the Camera and other equipment I am not using.

I also have a small soft case which will take a short lens and the camera.

--------------------

EGO sum bastard ut does frendo

Posts: 2821 | Location: Left Coast | Registered: 23 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry its taken me so long to get back to this thread. Some great ideas. The Cotton Carrier is a great idea for horseback, I'll research them a lot closer.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry it took so long to get back to this thread. Some great ideas. The hard case is similar to the one I got and the Cotton Carrier is a great idea for horseback riding. Thanks for the input.