New
Find
Notify
Tools

What are good eating?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Among animals commonly trapped in northern Idaho and Montana west of the divide, which are among the best eating -- tasting?

It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it. Sam Levinson

Posts: 1497 | Location: Seeley Lake | Registered: 21 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
Beaver and coon, but I am going on heresay on both.

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4227 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Naphtali:
Among animals commonly trapped in northern Idaho and Montana west of the divide, which are among the best eating -- tasting?

Beaver (both kinds) Wink

Posts: 2351 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
imo beaver is the better of the 2
i seen the coons scavanging garbage cans and roadkills and just can't get past that

Posts: 2141 | Location: enjoying my freedom in wyoming | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of James Kain
posted Hide Post
quote:
Beaver (both kinds) Wink

I have to totally agree with you on that!
Jokes aside;
Here in Maine we are know for our wild beaver. Just don't eat the tail! Look up Louis&Clark and find out why not to eat it!
But in a survival situation beaver tail is nasty but it best to eat it!

Disabled Vet(non-combat) - US Army
NRA LIFE MEMBER
Hunter, trapper, machinest, gamer, angler, and all around do it your selfer.
Build my own CNC router from scratch. I installed the hight wrong. My hight moves but the rails blocks 3/4 of the hight.....

Posts: 934 | Location: North Anson Maine USA | Registered: 27 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Muskrats are very good eating I would use just the hind legs as they have the most meat on them and I usually had alot of them stewed with onions and dumplings OH Boy. Beaver makes excellent jerky and the backstraps and hindlegs are good in chilis, stews and great for sausage both smoked and fresh (polish and Brats). If you a liver and onions fan beaver liver is fantastic, up on a bush line we would start are days with beaver liver onions and eggs then put just made peperred beaver jecky in our packs for lunch and beaver chili or stew for dinner, no sense pack in meat when it was all free for the takeing. Stuffed roast raccoon was a real treat at our place and all the young ones were saved.

375Win

After the first shot the rest are just noise

Posts: 66 | Location: Wetside, WA | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Beaver good (only quadraped), bear awful, lynx delicious, muskrat good, porcupine .....some good/some not, rat good, fox not good, raccoon ok. Pass the ketchup.

Posts: 2097 | Location: Gainesville, FL | Registered: 13 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We have had muskrat and porcupine. Both real good eating.

Watson lake

Posts: 326 | Location: Watson Lake, Yukon, Canada | Registered: 25 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by conifer:
Beaver good (only quadraped), bear awful, lynx delicious, muskrat good, porcupine .....some good/some not, rat good, fox not good, raccoon ok. Pass the ketchup.

Also add to the list cougar-bobcat-mt. lion or any relatives, nutria, javelina if cooked correctly, crow (but not ravens), all songbirds (don't get caught) and last but not least (watch out for the gag-factor)... coyote.

As bad as coyote sounds, there's a good reason Chinese like dog.

Can you tell I lived in South Louisanna a little too long?

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tigger next time we shoot I should tell you about all the things I ate growing up in Metairie. I still have relatives in Houma and Fuschon. There ain't much that swims, crawls, flies, walks, slithers, or has other means of locomotion that I ain't eaten. Some great, some really nasty!

Formerly known as Honey Island Swamp Monster now transplanted as South Texas Sasquatch.

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member
TDR Cummins Power All The Way
Certified member of the Whompers Club

Posts: 2973 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
We can dicuss it in April! I can point out a few critters on the ranch that even I won't admit (in print) to trying... hilbily

My first job out of Morgan City was deckhand on an anchor handling tug. The Capt was from Stephensville and english was his second language. He used to to invite to his home for dinner on occaision; I bet I can name a dish or two they won't even try in Metairie, lol. Dang good stuff, just don't want to remember what was in it!!!

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Conifer,
I beg to differ with you. Bear is delicious. Hang it for 2-3 weeks, make sure you take all the fat off and out that you can get, remove all the bone and it tastes like Pot Roast. Shoot one every year just for the meat.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you catch a coon live, put in in a SECURELY locked/reinforced cage & feed in cornmeal mush & fruit for a month or so...then skin it, stuff it (w/bread or potato filling) & slo-roast...hillbilly heaven!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like beaver but I keep getting those little beaver hairs caught in my teeth Big Grin

Seriously it's good meat, why wouldn't it be beavers are herbivores. Bear meat can be pretty darn good too, if you shoot on in a blueberry patch you'd be well advised to take the backstraps and hind quarters.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have eaten the meat from several different balck bears taken in Montana, Idaho, and Canada and they were all very good.
I have eaten grey fox, it was good. I had a lady in Idaho ask me to please bring her any of the mountain lion meat i did not want. Sadly I did not kill one. I did take her all the fat off of a black bear I killed. She said it makes the best pastry. I have read that in old frontier books as well.

Basically you can safely eat any animal with hair[fur], feathers, or scales, without fear of dying...

I have been told...
There is the liver of one animal that a human cannot eat, it has so much vitamin A that it can be posionous to humans.

Guess what it is.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
Tiggertate

University of Tennessee Ag Extension used to publish a cookbook and it had one or two (at least one) recipes for crow. I'll pass, they are too much of a scavenger.

Lots of folks here (TN) eat young of the year groundhogs though the generation that savored them are slowly disappearing to be replaced by those hunter/gatherers that hunt at kroger's and publix. The turuly sophisticated among them hunt the Whole Foods meat counter.

Way back when while I was working in the Datil (NM) area I learned that many of the locals savored a good lion. chops were said to be comparable to lamb.

I grew up with a guy whose father had grown up in the plains of NW TX and his dad said meadowlark was the only bird they ate growing up.

That all said, does it not strike you as funny what is considered good and bad table faire.

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4227 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Polar bear liver is known to be so high in Vitamin A that it is toxic to humans.