New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pelt's?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am curious who buy's pelts and where does it go?
I know beavers sell fast here in Oregon and it goes straight to the cowboy hat outfit, but what about the other's? Are there any kind of fur or pelt expo or swap meet in the Northwest USA?

One of Us
Picture of Skyline
posted Hide Post
In the US you folks have many different venues.... some trappers sell their catch in the round to fur buyers, who then skin and prep and ship the furs via one of the big auction houses.

Up here where I live in Canada we have to skin, stretch and dry the pelts. We then ship them through either North American Fur Auctions (NAFA) or Fur Harvesters Auctions (FHA). I know NAFA operates in the US as well.

I use FHA and they in turn hold some of their auctions in Finland with Saga Furs and American Legend........... which is the case for the sale just held on June 3rd.

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who are bereft of that gift.

Posts: 1814 | Location: Northern Rockies, BC | Registered: 21 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I sell mine to Groenwold fur and wool. China and Russia is the largest end market

Full time professional trapper

Posts: 313 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 13 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i live in northern bc and sell all my fur to nafa but have been looking at fha as they get better prices on certain types of fur.

Posts: 48 | Location: ft st john bc | Registered: 28 March 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by longrangehunter:
i live in northern bc and sell all my fur to nafa but have been looking at fha as they get better prices on certain types of fur.

Longrangehunter,
Do you have to skin, stretch and dry the pelts?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
yes i do but i get pretty good money to do so fur up here is excellent.

Posts: 48 | Location: ft st john bc | Registered: 28 March 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
We (Father and I) always did ours up as well. Fleshing them is the worst part I think. We always got way better money bringing them to sale processed, and graded into lots. Raw hides don't bring much.

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote