Find
Notify
Tools

17hmr and hides
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of HTR30CAL
posted
how well would the 17hmr work for dispatching animals in traps like coyote fox or bobcat

there is room for all of God's creatures, right on my wall

Wyoming Wolves, Smoke A Pack A Day

Wolves, Government Sponsored Terrorists

If its hungry, send it a Berger

Posts: 44 | Location: Wyoming USA | Registered: 22 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
I don,t know , but a friend of mine has one , I,ll ask him . see if it,s ruff on hides ..

.If it can,t be grown , its gotta be mined ....

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
No better than a subsonic 22lr in my opinion. Headshots still bleed all over and the 17HMR will blow the eyes out sometimes. Body shots leave most of the blood in the chest cavity until you skin them and then it drains all over your shop floor. I choke all my cats down and tonk and heel stomp the greys and coyotes. No blood. YMMV.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree with STrow a 22 sub sonic works great or you can asphyxiate them with a pole works great or the bonk on the head.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Billings,MT | Registered: 24 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
.I shot a lynx between the eyes last week with my 22 rifle with Standard high velocity Yellow Jacket L R. ammo . 1 shot from about 50 feet .. The trappers said it didn,t hurt it at all ....
. I,ve always had a thing for shutting an animal off like a switch ... I wouldn,t do the wrasslin match to save a hide .. I know a guy who didn,t want to ( ruin ) the hide with a bullet hole . He had a river otter in a trap and had to beat it in the head with a frameing hammer to kill it .. . That made a big mess of the hide ....He had tried chocking it down with snares but that didn,t work as otters are pretty skookum built .... After the last Wolverine he chocked I think he will use his 22 pistol from now on .... I think the 17 Mk2 would be better for trapped animals than the 17 HMR .....Should have enough velocity , but not too much ..

.If it can,t be grown , its gotta be mined ....

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HTR30CAL:
how well would the 17hmr work for dispatching animals in traps like coyote fox or bobcat

It will "work" but it's too much gun for trapped critters. I've shot called red fox with it with good results although the post regarding blood during skinning has merit. Tiny entry and no exit wound. A .22LR is all you need for trapped stuff where the range is essentially point blank. The buyer wont notice the .046" of an inch difference in bullet holes!

An old man sleeps with his conscience, a young man sleeps with his dreams.

Posts: 777 | Location: United States | Registered: 06 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Strut10
posted Hide Post
I always used a .22 Short HP in a 6" SA revolver. Key is to shoot the critter in the ear on a line to come out the other ear. Shuts the critter down instantaneously and no holes in the pelt to speak of.

I'm a pretty crass and heartless S.O.B. But I could never see the point or merit in aspyxiation to save a mark in the pelt.

Founder....the OTPG

Posts: 764 | Location: slightly off | Registered: 22 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've shot a variety of small game with the 17HMR. I agree that there is rarely an exit wound on animals larger than squirrel. It makes a mess of squirrel. It just about decapitates squirrel with head shots. Beginning with feral cats, I have not had an exit wound from point blank to 50 yards. I do not consider it on any animals except squirrel or rabbit beyond 50 yards. I do not consider it on game larger than fox as it does not make quick kills reliably. It is great on starlings and english sparrows around the farm out to 100 yards. I agree that if one wants to skin an animal after shooting it with a 17HMR, the body cavity retains most of the blood and it makes a mess of the internals. Personally - I'll stick with the 22 mag as it kills more reliably on small game up to fox. Good shooting!

God, guns, & guts made us free. Let's keep all three!

Posts: 169 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 30 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
.22 short CB cap

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36614 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
There is no need for the power or expense of a 17 HMR to dispatch trapped animals. A .22 SHort or even a CB short will do just fine. I used them for years and dispatched hundred of animals with superb results.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9336 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote