New
Find
Notify
Tools

Scent that repels?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Is there a scent, or a combination of scents, that repels dogs, whitetails, and cats? If such exists, please identify. And if such exists that will last a long time, that's even better.

About the only thing I thought might repel all would be human urine. But I have found instances where human urine appears to be an attractant.

It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it. Sam Levinson

Posts: 1497 | Location: Seeley Lake | Registered: 21 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Many things have been tried but none work all the time.

Posts: 19393 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A .22 never fails if used right.
George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5944 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use "Obama repellent spray" works like a charm!

Posts: 1195 | Location: Billings,MT | Registered: 24 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Spray things and places where they go, with ammonia .Replace as necessary.

One of Us
Picture of tomahawker
posted Hide Post
Pee of any kind is an attractant. Its the #1 way critters communicate, their version of shithouse graffiti if you will! I've heard of boiling the hottest peppers you can get your hands on and spraying that or commercial pepper spray, may work at first. Unfortunately animals seem intrigued by anything and everything smelly.

Posts: 3452 | Registered: 27 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Irish Spring soap seems to keep deer out of bushes around the house

Full time professional trapper

Posts: 313 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 13 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
I have hung dirty socks around my aviary pens to repel wild k9's. This did work but once rained on you need to replace them. I would think an old sweat drenched shirt would work too.

~Ann

Posts: 19168 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of youngoutdoors
posted Hide Post
I use dehydrated rotten egg to prevent deer from eating Christmas trees. It comes in 50lb bags and I mix it in a mist blower at a rate of 100lb egg with one quart of Bond Max sticker per 170 gallons of water. Will usually last a couple of months. The egg doesn't bother dogs, don't know about cats; don't have them any round here much. I control them another way.

God Bless, Louis

Posts: 1368 | Location: Mountains of North Carolina | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote