Find
Notify
Tools

Snaring Fox and Lynx
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted
..In an attempt to get fox farts off the front page , and to learn something ,, ,, Is it worthwhile to set snares on rabbit trails a bit high to catch a fox ????????

.If it can,t be grown , its gotta be mined ....

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of waterrat
posted Hide Post
Yes you can but on the other hand you could catch a wolverine and they will destroy a lite snare and escape. After a couple losses I use only 1/8" cable and a good solid hook-up as well. A wolverine is worth about 25 fox so why take a chance?

Jim

I tend to use more than enough gun

Posts: 1409 | Location: lake iliamna alaska | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
Thats what I was thinking ,, . Snares are like chokers .. and ya know what a Spruce King does with chokers thumb.. How long a wire should a person use , and should I use solid tail hold or a drag ???? Probably dumb questions , but I,m known for that ....

Where do you get your trapping supplies , and do you use fox or coyote lure ????????

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
http://www.raymondthompson.com/ and http://www.raymondthompson.com/
Don't let the new jersey address fool you. Snaring is all about location. Newt from the snare shop is a good guy and a great snareman.

Posts: 1286 | Location: N.J | Registered: 16 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of waterrat
posted Hide Post
Gumboot We've gotten most of our trapping supplies from the late Bob Green! The snare shop is top notch as well. The Pacific Call lure seems to work for most everything with my own formula a close 2nd. At every set for wolverine or lynx I'll hang a dz or so snares in the vicinity as well. JT

Posts: 1409 | Location: lake iliamna alaska | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
Waterrat , do you use Thompson snares , or the other type ..???

One of Us
Picture of waterrat
posted Hide Post
GB We use all types to suit the situation. The biggest wolf I 've gotten here was 3 10' thompsons hooked together to get to a good anchoring tree.