New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fisher
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
How are they measured....from nose to ass, or nose to end of tail on board? I have a 54" male drying right now if it's the latter. Trying to figure how many I need to send the hat maker.

Posts: 2717 | Location: NH | Registered: 03 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For grading purposes NAFA measures from nose to the base of the tail not tip of the tail

Full time professional trapper

Posts: 313 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 13 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Tom.....I had a feeling that was it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My buddy from another State just sold a fisher at the big auction in Canada, he got something like $150+ for it. The bobcats & fishers were selling very well.

NRA(Life),Veteran, RMEF,RGS,DU

Posts: 49 | Location: WI | Registered: 31 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you are actually going to send one to a maker for garments you need to figure things differently than if you are selling them for fur. that is because most garment makers do not use the head portion of the fur where the eyes and ears and mouth are.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by silvertip1:
If you are actually going to send one to a maker for garments you need to figure things differently than if you are selling them for fur. that is because most garment makers do not use the head portion of the fur where the eyes and ears and mouth are.

I've just seen them all skinned out the same way, that includes head, feet & all. The buyer then determines what & how they want to use it.

NRA(Life),Veteran, RMEF,RGS,DU

Posts: 49 | Location: WI | Registered: 31 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by silvertip1:

It's tube-skinned like fisher should be. Hat maker said he'll need 2 to make a good trapper-style hat.