New
Find
Notify
Tools

What Kind of Dog is this? (pic)
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Got the pic in trail camera that i had set up at a deer carcass. I was hoping to get some coyote or bobcat pictures, but nuthin but this big dog:

It's ears look sort of weird, like they were docked. A doberman maybe?

Plinker

aim small, hit small

Posts: 1522 | Location: WV | Registered: 24 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Skinner.
posted Hide Post
Looks like a Lab to me, the ear is just caught at the right angle to show the fold from behind and below. I can see the floppy ear hanging. Big Grin

He also looks rather well fed and I can see a bit of the white throat patch you see on some labs.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ok, thanks Skinner. There IS a big black lab runs around hunting back there and i'm actually sort of fond of the big dummy. (caught and released from a large live trap twice) It just didn't look like her, with that big muscular hindquarter and the look of the ear. Also the fur looked shorter than a lab's but you're probably right and i'm glad.

Plinker

aim small, hit small

one of us
Picture of ELKMAN2
posted Hide Post
Does that lab have the light hair on the hind quarters like this one? No collar, at first I thought it was a Rottie cross, but it looks too lean for that. Looks lik a deer chasing cur to me!! They don't last long out here, dogs MUST be kept under control. The ranchers will hang it up on the fence if the catch one on their property!

Posts: 1072 | Location: Pine Haven, Wyo | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Actually i hadn't even noticed the lack of a collar on this one. The lab i was familiar with used to wear a red collar.

aim small, hit small

one of us
Picture of ELKMAN2
posted Hide Post
Set your live trap,then ask around ..wild dogs are alsmost as bad as ferral cats.

Posts: 1072 | Location: Pine Haven, Wyo | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
This looks like a CANO CORSO,an old Italian breed of shepherd dog (live with the sheep). They are big as some mastifs and VERY HIGHDOLLAR the ears are docked as pups,makes an ugly head IMO. My real estate lady raises them, hope I got the name correct.
Nick

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Plinker, I'm inclined to go with your resident lab theory. It looks pet fed to me, seems to have a full body with a heavy layer of fat. The spots on the side is mud and I think that silver sheen is just reflection from a close-up flash. I suspect it is all black. Really hard to tell, can't be sure, but I think you may be able to see an impression going around the base of the neck where there used to be a collar.

The condition of it just doesn't make me think of a wild running dog.

Posts: 178 | Location: NE Pennsylvania | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bulldog563
posted Hide Post
Almost looks like a GSP lab cross to me.

Posts: 2153 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 23 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
looks to me like a brindle Pit bull

loud pipes save lives

Posts: 100 | Location: New Enterprise PA | Registered: 09 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The ear angle is what makes it look like a pitt bull because i got some subsequent and more clear pictures and it is definitely a lab. Not the neighbors lab that i was familiar with though... this one is a male. I called the neighbor and she confirmed hers is a female and she said it is arthritic and seldom ventures off anymore and if it does accidentally leave their property it still has the red collar its license and all its shots.

So i'm going to try to catch this one in a large cage trap. The dogs have ruined any plans to catch coyotes and foxes and such. Anyway, i'm thinking the dogs is what was actualy making the ducks disappear from 22 ducks to 9. If i catch the dog it'll get taken to the pound.

Plinker

aim small, hit small

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I must be old school. A dog running loose without a collar is fair game . They run deer, ruining hunting in the area, they run stock causing farmers headaches they do not need. And they ruin trapping.
Check with your neighbors to see if its not a local. If it is tell them to collar and control it. If not, the minute you see it running deer or stock, or if it packs up with other dogs shoot it on site.

Posts: 28 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 10 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Plinker603, do what you think is right.

I am old school also but that doesan't make it right. Just be careful, don't indanger yourself if the dog is mean. Which if he was would give me another reason to shoot the SOB.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd just rather catch it legally and turn it in and let the animal control people deal with it. Something took the hotdog bait but this time i wired it, maybe catch it soon. I have worried about how to get a leash around its neck and i think the best way would be to roll the cage upside down (after it's caught) That way, the door would open from the top with the hinge on the bottom. I think it would then be easy to wire the door open only enough for the dog to gets its head out and then put the loop over when it stuck its head through. Otherwise if the door opens from the bottom the dog would have the advantage of already being crouched in a ducking and springing position. I'll let you know what happens. First things first, have to catch it.

Plinker

aim small, hit small

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well okay the dog was there waiting in the trap today. I made friends with it by giving it some pieces of hotdog and it wasn't aggressive...just very hungry. So me and my MIL took it to the pound. Boy was i glad she was along because she don't take no for an answer! No buddy! We knocked on the door and the guy (same one who let the other dog get away) he said "we're closed." So i said but you're here and nobody has to come get the dog we just brought it 12 miles. "But we're closed" he said. MIL started in about how she was gonna tell everyone she knew not to make make any more contributions to the shelter. She also said how the dog is starving and its their job to take care of it. She is very tall and very articulate and when she talks people seem to sense she could cause them some trouble. So, thanks to her, they took the dog. It's out of my hands and out of my woods. At least one is. This one was black and lab like but it didn't have the white on it so there's probably another one. Have to re-bait.

Plinker

aim small, hit small

one of us
Picture of ELKMAN2
posted Hide Post
You did a good job, and are good hearted I would have shot it and the pound will more than likely euthanise it, but you did the right thing. Now catch the other one!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
haha elkman, thanks but i'm not good hearted, i just wanted it gone. MIL really is good hearted...when i brought it home she brought it food and she was worried to death it was getting cold riding in the back of the truck.

As far as you saying you'd shoot it, well i somehow doubt you (or any others on here) would shoot a lab dog that had its head down and wagging its tail.

Plinker

aim small, hit small

one of us
Picture of ELKMAN2
posted Hide Post
Maybe you are right, I like dogs, but one running wild is a nuisance and I just might do it,

one of us
Picture of jb
posted Hide Post
i would have painted a big red x on its side and a "next time" warning.then turn him loose

SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

Posts: 2937 | Location: minnesota | Registered: 26 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I live out in the country and a bunch of years ago a neighbors house dog seemed to prefer my yard more than the owner's. The dog was very friendly. Each visit I would put a couple drops of skunk essence on its neck. It only made a couple return visits and then it didn't come back anymore.

Posts: 178 | Location: NE Pennsylvania | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Some of us have been calling coyotes for years.
Now and then we'll get a couple come in with a dog someone's dumped out in the country.

Had a doctor that knew I was doing that. He own's some land 50 miles south of me and 150 from him. Asked if I'd go down there and try to kill a big nasty tempered Rottwieler running with a pack of coyotes. Said he'd pulled up to the gate and they came running and that big black SOB stood in the way growling and wouldn't even let him out of the car. He didn't have a gun along.

A few weeks later when I got down there. They were out in his pasture about 125yds or so and stopped. I just rolled the window down and shot him. Mailed the collar & tags to the doc. Never even put a note in it. Next time I was up there he came to thank me. Said he'd contacted the owners on the name tag and they denied knowing anything about the dog at all. Claimed it was still at the house. So he drove over there with the collar and confronted them. They about crapped when he handed it to them. They just turned pale, backed up and closed the door. Hell of a deal as they all live in Denver and this was 120 miles south of there.

Fairly certain to us that it got mean and they just dumped him out down there someplace.

Whenever a rancher see's a dog with the coyotes they'll usually tell us about it and ask that we kill them first even before we kill the coyotes with them. Half domesticated wild dogs are much worse than fully wild one's. Because they are seldom afraid of humans.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5947 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote