Find
Notify
Tools

Wire snare trap?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of MOA TACTICAL
posted
Just saw one of these for the first time.

Looks neat, but kind of fragile.

Anyone use one?

Posts: 955 | Location: Until I am back North of 60. | Registered: 07 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have caught several stray cats with them. Sometimes they just get a leg caught and you gotta finish them off.

Posts: 718 | Location: va | Registered: 30 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Most of the ones I have ever seen are made from cable of 3/16 ths. diameter or larger cable, with a locking mechanism on them so the cable won't slip back on its self.

To me the problem with cable snares is that unless a person knows just exactly how and where to set them, they are/can be indiscriminate killers.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of erict
posted Hide Post
Depending on who is speaking, there are additional terms for snares, including Cable Restraints, a form of snare. Unfortunately, the general public and likely many sportsmen only know a snare as a cable that tightens down until an animal is asphyxiated. Some general info about cable restraints here: Missouri Cable Restraint guide

Fragile? I guess some could be, but they can also be quite stout - a friend of mine foot snared a black bear in Maine (the only state where snaring bears was (is?) legal at the time).

"Listen more than you speak, and you will hear more stupid things than you say."

Posts: 705 | Location: near Albany, NY | Registered: 06 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grafton
posted Hide Post
You can catch just about anything with a snare. Only fragile if you use too light of a cable for what you are trying to catch. Light, cheap, easy to make, very effective. Check out snareshop.com for supplies and more info...and be sure to check your state regs regarding legality.

SAFARI ARTS TAXIDERMY
http://www.safariarts.net/

Posts: 1378 | Location: Virginia, USA | Registered: 05 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MOA TACTICAL
posted Hide Post
Ok, we got our wires crossed and it was my fault.

I guess the thing is called a foot snare.

http://www.fntpost.com/Product...lson+Bear+Foot+Snare

I had never seen one before.

Posts: 955 | Location: Until I am back North of 60. | Registered: 07 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MOA TACTICAL
posted Hide Post
Erict,

You can share/trap bears in Alaska as well.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
got me a catalogue ordered from snareshop. coons are getting quite plentiful at the protein feeder at the ranch.
thanks,
okie

Keep yer powder dry and yer knife sharp.

Posts: 582 | Location: Texas City, TX. USA. | Registered: 25 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Coon cuff works great Will not catch a dog or house cat

There is nothing as permanent as a good temporary repair.

Posts: 265 | Location: south texas | Registered: 30 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Snares can definitely be a good tool, especially in northern states with snowy/freezing conditions. After the snow falls it's a lot of effort to keep footholds operational, but a properly set snare will keep working through ant weather condition. Also what was posted about the cable restraint is correct. I use them here in WI and have never found a dead animal in one. Just avoid entaglement issues and make sure your cables have relaxing locks and deer stops. The snare shop has all that.and more...good place. Oh, and they are certainly a one-time use. You can save the hardware and make your own with a spool of cable though.

Shoot straight, shoot often.
Matt

Posts: 1169 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 19 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cropduster:
Coon cuff works great Will not catch a dog or house cat

Cats can be caught in them if you use a fish based bait. Stick with the sweet baits. I also know of a dog getting it's tongue in one. If pets are a concern use sweet baits and make sure your DP trap has a pull only trigger, not a push pull.

Full time professional trapper

Posts: 313 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 13 February 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Want argue with that Smiler I use peanut butter.
quote:
Cats can be caught in them if you use a fish based bait. Stick with the sweet baits. I also know of a dog getting it's tongue in one. If pets are a concern use sweet baits and make sure your DP trap has a pull only trigger, not a push pull.

There is nothing as permanent as a good temporary repair.

Posts: 265 | Location: south texas | Registered: 30 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Peanut butter works fine also. My only problem with it is that around here it sometimes attracts mice that clean it out before the coon gets to it.

Full time professional trapper

Posts: 313 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 13 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Caught one, almost. I had one but it got out. Twisted the wire, and moved it. Got one in the foot snare with the marshmallow for bait. Kind of cruel but I have too many at the feeder.

Keep yer powder dry and yer knife sharp.

Posts: 582 | Location: Texas City, TX. USA. | Registered: 25 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have used the one Crazyhorse refers to..You can buy them in almost any Hardware or Feed store in West Texas. They sure do work and the coyote chokes darn quick..I also caught a lot of Javalina in them and on two occasions over the years a Lion got into them..Killed them but they sure tore up a lot of barb wire fencing and pulled a lot of staples, but those snares don't loosen, the just get tighter as they fight them. It was strictly preditor control of preditors coming out of Mexico in droves.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TREE 'EM
posted Hide Post
Snares when set properly kill quickly and humanely and can be a great tool when used properly.

Cable restraints, although similar are designed with relaxing locks and most importantly swivels so the cable does not fray or kink causing breakage and loss of your catch. These devices are intended to simply restrain with minimal damage so non targets can be released without harm. CRs also have the advantage of no damage to coyotes if you want to sell to the live market.

I have been in ADC work for 30+ years and have had great success with cable restraints in suburban settings for coyotes. I've used snares for fur trapping where regs and common sense allow and have had great success with then too.

All We Know Is All We Are

Posts: 1214 | Location: E Central MO | Registered: 13 January 2014Reply With Quote