New
Find
Notify
Tools

Grey Fox hunting
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Just got in a bit of night calling in Texas and did OK...
For you fur takers, the McFlame rifle is a .223ai, 1 in 8 twist, shooting a slow version of the 60 gr Nosler BT...about 2650 fps. I have found this to be generally 'fur friendly'...
The blue LVSF is a .222 shooting basic Hornady 50 grain SP....turned out to be pretty easy on fur too...

A nice big male..

A couple stands procduced triples...

There were quite a few others, singles and doubles, so it was a pretty enjoyable hunt. Thanks for looking!

Posts: 81 | Location: Montana | Registered: 23 December 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tomahawker
posted Hide Post
Nice, DNR instituted a grey fox study this year in Ohio because of declining numbers. I have never seen one in 40 years. On an up note did see my first badger. Good shootin

Posts: 3452 | Registered: 27 November 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What part of texas did you hunt...I have hunted most of my life in the Big Bend area, The grey fox there is called the LLanero (sp?) and they are abundant..Trapped them also..In the 70s fur was high dollar, we ran traps at the ranch and hunted them at night with a red Q beam light, half grow jack rabbit or full grown cotton tail calls..also a woodpecker call worked as did the baby kitten call..I liked the 222, and a 12 ga. with no. 2 shot to back it up on the closer ones..Hunted mostly South of Marathon and North of Ft. Stockton..Lots of coyotes, bobcats, and foxes and I got one lion in a lifetime of night calling, that was dumb luck for sure. Had another Lion come in but never got close or presented a shot..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41859 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote