Find
Notify
Tools

Dispatching fur?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of MOA TACTICAL
posted
Other than the snare choke method, what's a good cartridge to use on fur animals?

Thinking mostly wolf, wolverine, coyote, fox, otter and so on.

Is the 327 Federal too much of a good thing?

I realize there is hug difference in what will damage a weasel versus what will damage a wolf hide.

Posts: 955 | Location: Until I am back North of 60. | Registered: 07 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use 22 lr for everything from fox to wloves, never under estimate the killing power of a 22.
Any smaller fur bearers are usually caught in a killing set.

Doug McMann
www.skinnercreekhunts.com
ph# 250-476-1288
Fax # 250-476-1288
PO Box 27
Tatlayoko Lake, BC
Canada
V0L 1W0
email skinnercreek@telus.net

Posts: 1227 | Location:  | Registered: 21 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of edholum
posted Hide Post
Yep- 22 lr is my old reliable

"Conservation through Hunting"

Posts: 260 | Location: SE South Dakota | Registered: 20 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
22 lr subsonic works good and no belt damage

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Always 22lr

Posts: 370 | Location: northcentral mt | Registered: 25 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MOA TACTICAL
posted Hide Post
Thanks!

I didn't realize I could get away with a 22 in a wolf.

Appreciate the knowledge.

Posts: 955 | Location: Until I am back North of 60. | Registered: 07 October 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
22lr.On the smaller stuff yotes and fox I used a 2 foot lenght of shovel handle.

Hit them between eye and ear knock them out the step on their chest and pull up on the hind legs

Less bloody the shooting.

Other wise 22 in the brain

Posts: 19357 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have killed trapped 160# hogs with a 22 short at a distance of six or eight feet. I always used a second shot for insurance, but there is nothing you are going to trap you can't kill with a short, assuming the animal gets still. And most do because they are exhausted from fighting the trap or snare...

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For foxes and raccoons, I used to just dispatch them with a good stout club. For coyotes and up, I'd use a .22 LR pistol.

Posts: 641 | Location: SW Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 10 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When Marten were found alive at the set I would smack 'em like p dog says, grab 'em behind the head/neck with one hand, reach up in the chest and grab the heart, squeeze and pull until it quits beating. Goes fast.

Posts: 179 | Location: South of Anchorage | Registered: 21 January 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I never had much luck hitting coon tough little critters I just shoot them with the 22.

Posts: 19357 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It takes a really hard whack to kill a raccoon. I'll admit that a lot of the time I shot the bigger ones.

Posts: 641 | Location: SW Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 10 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
We use a 22lr as well.

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Skyline
posted Hide Post
I pretty much just use snares and killing traps, so it is very rare I have to dispatch something. When I need to I use a .22 LR. Heck it is all I use to drop steers at home.......... speaking of which I have to kill two and hang them in the cooler tomorrow. Smiler

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who are bereft of that gift.

Posts: 1809 | Location: Northern Rockies, BC | Registered: 21 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For wolf, wolverine, lynx etc., be aware that at 30 below and colder, 22 rimfires lose a lot of power. The famous video of an Alaska Fish&Game guy repeatedly shooting a snared wolf in the head with little effect demonstrated that fact--and he was using a 22 Magnum.

One of Us
Picture of Skyline
posted Hide Post
Interesting. Have never had that problem myself at those temps, but then there are a lot of variables. I never shoot lynx. On the very, very rare occasion that one is not dead........ actually am trying to remember one..... years ago, a knock on the head is quick.

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who are bereft of that gift.

Posts: 1809 | Location: Northern Rockies, BC | Registered: 21 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We can use nothing larger than a 22 short. It works well up to and including a coyote. Not sure if I would have the stones to use it on a wolf.

Posts: 1284 | Location: N.J | Registered: 16 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A properly placed short should work fine..

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
At 10 feet .22 short will kill anything you can catch in a trap...as long as you hit the calvarium.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36531 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
with a 22LR you can end up with two holes in a coon or fox. I used 22shorts and caps for everything from coons to cats to coyotes.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have shot LARGE cattle and hogs with the 22LR out of a rifle at point blank range.
Dropped them instantly.
Have seen my brother shoot dozens of trapped coyotes with 22LR handgun. Works every time.
Can't envision any better tool for your task.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2634 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Use a 22 long on bigger stuff and a short on smaller stuff...sub sonics also work great. I use a Ruger Mark III with lazer sight. Small stuff can also be dispatched with a quality pellet gun with head shots with a solid.

Posts: 259 | Location: Marietta, Georgia | Registered: 04 July 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JCS271
posted Hide Post
Put two 22lr hp's through the lungs of a big male wolf last year, gone in 20 seconds. No head shots, we wanted the skull!
P.S. BOTH EXITED!

"The difference between adventure and disaster is preparation."
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1626 | Location: Montana Territory | Registered: 27 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I usually check my traps around daybreak and I live in pretty populated country. I always carried a 22, usually with shorts and later with the CCI CB's. But mostly I use a hoe handle. I tap the on the head and then stand on the rib cage until they stop breathing. My trapping has been limited to animals the size of raccoons and foxes and smaller. Between the holes in the pelt and the noise upsetting the nearby property owners, I just prefer this quieter method.
Bfly

Work hard and be nice, you never have enough time or friends.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Lake Nice, VA | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JCS271
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black Fly:
I usually check my traps around daybreak and I live in pretty populated country. I always carried a 22, usually with shorts and later with the CCI CB's. But mostly I use a hoe handle. I tap the on the head and then stand on the rib cage until they stop breathing. My trapping has been limited to animals the size of raccoons and foxes and smaller. Between the holes in the pelt and the noise upsetting the nearby property owners, I just prefer this quieter method.
Bfly

That would be a hoot to watch with a large wolf! Big Grin

"The difference between adventure and disaster is preparation."
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1626 | Location: Montana Territory | Registered: 27 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That would be a rodeo, for sure. I would probably need to wear steel lined pants and boots and have a good surgeon standing by with a needle and thread, maybe a change of underwear, too! shocker
Bfly

Work hard and be nice, you never have enough time or friends.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Lake Nice, VA | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote