Find
Notify
Tools

Wolf calling
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Supershot
posted
Anyone here have any experience with calling Timber Wolves with electronic callers? I know there are wolves in my area, and a few people shoot one now and then while deer or moose hunting, but I don't know of anyone calling them electronically. I'm thinking of giving it a try.

Tourist to Alaskan Farmer: Hey, these cabbages are no bigger than the one I grown back home!

Alaskan Farmer's Response: Lady, you are looking at the Brussel Sprouts.

Posts: 35 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 11 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I do not have any experience calling wolves. I just bought a rabbit call to try for them. Sure would like to hear how an electronic call works.
We have lots of wolves here. They come right into town.
Watson Lake

Posts: 326 | Location: Watson Lake, Yukon, Canada | Registered: 25 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This guy and a couple of his buddies fell for my rabbit call. Took all of about 5 minutes from, when I plunked my ass against a tree. Big Grin First one to show up was a black and while I was waiting for him to get into a suitable spot, for a shot, this one showed up, less than 50 yards away.

Grizz

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Those who can't skin, can hold a leg. Abraham Lincoln

Only one war at a time. Abe Again.

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Supershot
If there is fresh wolf sign around then any type of caller will work. Problem with wolves in this area anyway is they usually travel in packs during the winter so if you are not in the area that they are in then you'll have no luck.
Calling used to be my passion and over time I learned that the "set-up" was the most important aspect for calling success.

One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
Yup ,there needs to be wolves in the area ... Wildlife Specialties makes the best electronic wolf caller I have seen .. Moose calf distress.. Is about the best ... On Prince of Wales ,a deer call , fawn distress works if they are close .. ..
. A big thing tho is if you get some out in an opening , and they are close enough to hit the closest one to the timber , shoot it first . It may well confuse the others in the pack enough to keep them out in the open enough to kill them all .

.If it can,t be grown , its gotta be mined ....

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We live up in Eagle, where the Yukon comes in from Canada. Our wolves tend to run big circles, maybe 100 miles. You see them 2-3 times a winter They hang around for maybe a week week and a half and then continue on their loop. I would run up this one creek into Canada, when wolves were there. Course they would hear the skandic, and all I would see is fresh tracks. Sometimes, I'd see new tracks on the way back down the creek. I always figured if I'd set up; could call them in; just never did.

Every couple years, we have wolf pups ( that years pups) hang around the house cleaning up all the snowshoes & cats in August. They haven't developed fear of people yet and would walk up my lane to look at my dogteam. Dogteam would have killed pup if they could have broke chains. I actually walked out on porch with wolf pup 15 yards from porch; looked me over then walked off. These wolf pups are starving & lonely; looking to pack up or die. My son would call this one pup in at school bus stop in morning with a rabbit squealer. Pup would come running up from river, see the kids and sit across the road in woods wondering what they were. Kinda cool actually, and we'd never shoot those young ones.

We also see wolves when the caribou come thru. If you set up on road where caribou cross on a summit, you will see wolves. We have seen wolves all day long while shooting caribou; just got to glass around off the road and stop and look rather than driving too fast.

Bottomline, you are only going to call in the yearlings. Older smarter wolves won't come into calls from our experience.

If you are seeing fresh tracks on trails, hearing wolves at night, you should be able to call them in. They got to be close and staying in the area to do this.

Posts: 521 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 12 April 2010Reply With Quote