Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Youth Trapping School
 Login/Join

posted
On Saturday Sept. 26th District #1 of the Pa. Trappers Assoc. Had it's third annual youth trapping school.There were 44 youths, aged from ten to sixteen. The curriculum consisted of, trap preparation,(adjustment, dyeing,waxing,cold dipping etc.). Then the students moved from station to station, there they learned how to make sets for different species. Animals Covered were, Water animals,(Mink, Muskrat & Beaver), land animals, (Fox& Coyote), Racoon (both land and water). There was also a one hour course on fur handling. The day was a success, with each student receiving two traps, one body-gripper and one foot-hold, a five gal. pail for carrying equipment, a t-shirt and a certificate of graduation from the course. We fed them lunch,( the ever popular hot dog), and sent them home full of knowledge and enthusiasm. If you are part of an outdoor organization, you should try hosting one of these schools, Watching the kids learn is gratifying, and you're helping the future of your sport. trapperjim

Posts: 6 | Location: northwest, Pa | Registered: 10 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Trapperjim: sounds like a good day.. where did you trap those hot dogs? My grandsons in St.Maries Idaho are wanting to get started trapping.. my cabin is on the St.Joe river, and it is full of muskrats.. is there a web site, or a good book to help them get started? thanks Les

Posts: 431 | Location: Wyoming/ Idaho, St Joe river | Registered: 17 November 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Les, Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner, but my computer died and I just got set back up. As far as web sites go, one of the best is trapperman.com.It has links to most of your state association sites,One of the better things you could do is contact your state trappers assoc.they could try to set you up with somebody local to help your grandsons out. Good luck trapperjim

Posts: 6 | Location: northwest, Pa | Registered: 10 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the ideas.. I'll check it out.. I just ordered subsciptions to Fur Fish and Game for the boys.. Les

Posts: 431 | Location: Wyoming/ Idaho, St Joe river | Registered: 17 November 2005Reply With Quote