New
Find
Notify
Tools

first season trapping
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I decided to help out our ungulate population this year and take my trappers license and try and thin out the wolves while I guided for cougar and lynx. I have had a little success and I thought show some pictures of some wolves.
this female I caught in a trail snare set, it took all winter for anything to use the trail but it paid off.

These two males where caught the same night using MB750 foot hold traps. I should have had at least two more that night but my traps had froze up.
The one was caught on a pee pole marking set the other wolf was caught about 200 yards away on a blind trail set. Both were big males weighing over 125lbs.

Both of these where caught during the filming of The Best and Worst of Tred Barta, the trapping will be part of the show which will air this fall.

Doug McMann
www.skinnercreekhunts.com
ph# 250-476-1288
Fax # 250-476-1288
PO Box 27
Tatlayoko Lake, BC
Canada
V0L 1W0
email skinnercreek@telus.net

Posts: 1227 | Location:  | Registered: 21 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of waterrat
posted Hide Post
Nice going Hillbilly!!
I'll be looking forward to seeing the show,,give us a heads-up. I feel your pain on the 750s,I have 1/2 dz sleepy creek 4 1/2s in the mail for next season. I'll make a report when possible,Nice going Jim

I tend to use more than enough gun

Posts: 1409 | Location: lake iliamna alaska | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by waterrat:
Nice going Hillbilly!!
I'll be looking forward to seeing the show,,give us a heads-up. I feel your pain on the 750s,I have 1/2 dz sleepy creek 4 1/2s in the mail for next season. I'll make a report when possible,Nice going Jim

I don't know anything about the sleepy creek traps. Where are you getting them. I am in the market for for another dozen my self.

Doug McMann
ph# 250-476-1288
Fax # 250-476-1288
PO Box 27
Tatlayoko Lake, BC
Canada
V0L 1W0

One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Well done, Doug!

I too use Sleepy Creek traps (they are very high quality) and get them from Trapper Art's:

http://www.trapperartssupply.com/

~Ann

Posts: 19171 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I checked Sleey Creeks website and didn't find any wolf traps, do they even have any or they coyote and smaller.

Doug McMann
ph# 250-476-1288
Fax # 250-476-1288
PO Box 27
Tatlayoko Lake, BC
Canada
V0L 1W0

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Caught this female last night. I had high hopes for this snare all winter, I was sure I would connect eventually.
All four wolves where caught on 150 acres that i trap close by my ranch.

Doug McMann
ph# 250-476-1288
Fax # 250-476-1288
PO Box 27
Tatlayoko Lake, BC
Canada
V0L 1W0

One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
I love snaring best, great job!

~Ann

Posts: 19171 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of waterrat
posted Hide Post
HillBilly

I got mine through Minnisota trapline Supply
we make a lot of our own snare's but buy about 1/2 of our total from The Snare Shop
Congrats on your wolves!!
A fellow in King Salmon got a pack into a swale full of soft snow and got 5 yesterday.
Jim

Posts: 1409 | Location: lake iliamna alaska | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
HillBilly

I got mine through Minnisota trapline Supply
we make a lot of our own snare's but buy about 1/2 of our total from The Snare Shop
Congrats on your wolves!!
A fellow in King Salmon got a pack into a swale full of soft snow and got 5 yesterday.
Jim

Jim are you using the 4 1/2 traps for wolves?
5 at one time is a dream of mine, 5 wolves that is.

Doug McMann
ph# 250-476-1288
Fax # 250-476-1288
PO Box 27
Tatlayoko Lake, BC
Canada
V0L 1W0

One of Us
Picture of waterrat
posted Hide Post
That's my plan,,they look like they are plenty stout and more room underneath than the mb750's.

I brought 3 wolves home 1 morning and 3 the next day close to a 5 wolf day!

It's Minnisota Trapline Products,,,

Jim

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good stuff Jim, I think i may give them ago as well. I need to pickup another 12 traps for next winter.
6 in two days is better then 5 in one day, it breaks up the skinning a little .

Doug McMann
ph# 250-476-1288
Fax # 250-476-1288
PO Box 27
Tatlayoko Lake, BC
Canada
V0L 1W0

One of Us
Picture of waterrat
posted Hide Post
We are putting our wolves on the boards now!

One of Us
Picture of MOA TACTICAL
posted Hide Post
Waterat,

Are you buying snares or building them?

I haven't seen snares for sell that I thought would be long enough for wolf.

Then again, I have never snared a wolf and don't really know how long the snare would have to be.

Posts: 955 | Location: Until I am back North of 60. | Registered: 07 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of waterrat
posted Hide Post
MOA,,,,About 1/2 & 1/2,,I usually have about 5 doz of the #9 wire store boughts on hand and I make a lot of 10' and longer snares. The preferred snare of the up-north trappers is the #9 but in brush country there's times when we have to reach out to get the right spot. Once I had 3 snares (30') covering a trail and caught a wolf of a lifetime!

One of Us
Picture of MOA TACTICAL
posted Hide Post
Waterrat,

The loop is 30 inches?

Best of luck on your line this winter!

Posts: 955 | Location: Until I am back North of 60. | Registered: 07 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of waterrat
posted Hide Post
MOA They was snare was in effect 30' long with a wolf sized loop at the end covering an opening!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jim,

Eager to hear how the 4 1/2's work for you. I've got 25 #9's and probably need to add a couple more dozen wolf traps to the collection at some point. I have the snare shop make my snares. 10' of 1x19 by 3/32 works great, but really have come to be fond of the wolf snares with the #9 wire. There are always needs for both as I will connect 2 or 3 10' snares together like you did to reach "the" spot you know will catch a wolf! Usually leaves one heck of a catch circle! Smiler

Posts: 384 | Location: Tok, Alaska | Registered: 26 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Do any of you have a good picture of your #9 wire snares? I like the 7x7 3/32 cable myself.

Doug McMann
ph# 250-476-1288
Fax # 250-476-1288
PO Box 27
Tatlayoko Lake, BC
Canada
V0L 1W0

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Doug,

I don't have any pictures, but the only reason I like the 1x19 is it holds a hoop without needed branches, etc. The 7x7 is limp and needs support.

If you ever use the snares with the #9 wire, you will like them for certain sets. You can just wire them up and hang them out in the open with no support branches, etc. I still think you need both snares with #9 and without to be effective and be able to set in places conductive for either snare.

Posts: 384 | Location: Tok, Alaska | Registered: 26 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MOA TACTICAL
posted Hide Post
quote:
MOA They was snare was in effect 30' long with a wolf sized loop at the end covering an opening!

Understood, I was thinking you had 800 pound wolves there for a minuite!

What is more effective snares or leg holds on wolves?

I watched a DVD about a guy in Bethel that uses both, and catches a lot of big wolves on pee post sets. I can't remember what his name was.