New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pre-baiting
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
i dug 4 dirt holes and put meat scraps in them and cover back up and almost every day they're dug up. It might be a fox because it was finally wet enough to leave some tracks. Looks a like cat tracks but i hope its a fox.

Trapping season comes in Saturday, so i'm setting a Duke 1 3/4 in one of those holes. A #1 3/4 just in case a coyote comes by it will catch either one.

It gives you something to do till season comes in. Anyone else pre-bait?

Plinker

aim small, hit small

Posts: 1522 | Location: WV | Registered: 24 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
pre-baiting is common for wolves up here. You build a large "teepee" out of wrist sized logs and put the bait inside. Then when you're ready you put some traps in the openings.

the chef

one of us
Picture of ELKMAN2
posted Hide Post
And snares!!

Posts: 1072 | Location: Pine Haven, Wyo | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Plinker603:
i dug 4 dirt holes and put meat scraps in them and cover back up and almost every day they're dug up. It might be a fox because it was finally wet enough to leave some tracks. Looks a like cat tracks but i hope its a fox.

If It looks like S#!t, Smells like S#!t, then it probably IS S#!t. ....oh well so much for my fox.

I never knew cats was interested in dirtholes and they'd dig out a hole so slick. As finicky an eater as housecats seem to be then they go after rotten meat.

aim small, hit small

Posts: 1522 | Location: WV | Registered: 24 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used to trap coons years ago.Cats were always a problem.Dont despair....keep trying.

Posts: 66 | Location: manchester md | Registered: 15 March 2006Reply With Quote