New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wolf trapping in MT
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
We will be finally able to trap some wolves in MT this year! No snares though. Any suggestions on what type of traps and sets to use?

Posts: 1195 | Location: Billings,MT | Registered: 24 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
ep

Your regs will probably require a minimum of 9" jaws.
Idaho required us to take an eight hour class (which I did even though I had no intention of targeting Wolves). Pretty amazing how big and durable the traps that will actually hold a Wolf are. Plan on spending some big money! They showed us one trap from AK that's 140.00 apiece. Yikes. IIRC, they said Bridger #7's were about as small and inexpencive you can get by with.
Luck

PS an old trapper that lives across the river from me caught two (on the same trap check). His line required a 140 mile round trip trap check (every three days) pluss the cost of the traps. He got 200.00 for both since one had been fighting and the other had been is a snare and escaped, pretty much ruining the hide, so don't expect to get rich.
They sure looked impressive when he stopped by to show em to me though. Eeker

Field sports are not about targets and scores. Score-keeping is necessary in competitions between humans, unattractive in competitions with weaker adversaries. Constant scores of many to zero do not smell of struggle and chance. They smell of greed.

Posts: 91 | Location: Idaho, Clearwater County | Registered: 07 January 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a freind in Wis that catches 5 or 6 a year is no2 double coil spring fox traps each year.

I seen the pictures Iam sure my double long spring N0.4 victors will work fine.

Posts: 19396 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
I have a freind in Wis that catches 5 or 6 a year is no2 double coil spring fox traps each year.

I seen the pictures Iam sure my double long spring N0.4 victors will work fine.

Well,,, I guess anythings possible, but here's a pic of a typical Wolf track up here.

and a four coiled #2 Bridger that's pretty well filled up with just a Cats foot
so a #2 wouldn't be my first choice.
Doesn't really matter though cause I'm sure there will be a minimum jaw spread specked out in the regs that's allot bigger than a #2.

Field sports are not about targets and scores. Score-keeping is necessary in competitions between humans, unattractive in competitions with weaker adversaries. Constant scores of many to zero do not smell of struggle and chance. They smell of greed.

Posts: 91 | Location: Idaho, Clearwater County | Registered: 07 January 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
#2wouldn't be my choice.

I am just passing on what my trapping freind has caught in his.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yea,,, I hear ya.
I wansn't looking for a fight. Just making conversation and making an attempt to pass along what I learned in the class.
FWIW,,, the 70yo gubment trapper who's been trapping Wolves for them for over forty years told us over and over, "if you can catch a Coyote, you can catch a Wolf, but if you think you're gonna hold em with the same gear you're in for a suprise".
His words, not mine.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a single newhouse 48 that should work just fine.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The size of traps and how they work depends on the conditions you are trapping in. If you are setting in an area where drifting, and crusty snow may be an issue you will want to use a Bridger Alaskan wolf trap or the equivilant. I used Mb 750 traps last season altough i did catch some I had one wolf pull out and several misses with the traps not closing completely due to crusted snow.
My friend caught 36 this season and 35 last season with snares and traps, he won't use anything but a Bridger Brawn wolf trap. He won't touch anything less.
I hope this helps. Talk to the guys that get it done year after year, it doesn't matter where they are from, a wolf is a wolfabove or below the 49th.

Doug McMann
www.skinnercreekhunts.com
ph# 250-476-1288
Fax # 250-476-1288
PO Box 27
Tatlayoko Lake, BC
Canada
V0L 1W0
email skinnercreek@telus.net

Posts: 1227 | Location:  | Registered: 21 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's good advise right there C-H, although, like I said earlier "the Regs will probably help folks in deceiding to use a larger trap too".

I see where Minnesota is also allowing Wolf trapping this year.
Anyone know what their requirements (trapwise) are yet?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
twilli

Mt FWP is requiring wolf trappers to register for a class by aug 24th ,go to their web site

Posts: 370 | Location: northcentral mt | Registered: 25 May 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wis regs are out the are saying a trap with out more then a 7 inch jaw spread.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MyDogsHunt:
Iam sure my double long spring N0.4 victors will work fine.

[/QUOTE]

100 pound Alaska wolves will chew up and spit out a No. 4 Victor in about 10 minutes. They are very poor wolf traps for several reasons including weak chains that break.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mydogshunt: Is that a dollar after Obama got through with it, or one of the earlier ones... would surely make a difference...

Posts: 431 | Location: Wyoming/ Idaho, St Joe river | Registered: 17 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of oakman
posted Hide Post
You must use a mb750- min.-with a 3/8 offset jaws....with a 8 lb pan tension for higher grab on the foot and must be checked every 2 days.That's the law now in Montana. Good luck trappers.... patriot

life member of SCI
life member of NRA
NTA
Master Scorer SCI
Scorer for Rowland Ward

www.african-montana-taxidermy.com

Posts: 241 | Location: Montana USA | Registered: 01 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of oakman
posted Hide Post
The new law in Montana states that the trap pan tension is 8 lb and with a 2 day check period. You should use a min size trap of MB 750 with 3/8 offset and everything welded....Good luck trappers......... patriot

life member of SCI
life member of NRA
NTA
Master Scorer SCI
Scorer for Rowland Ward

www.african-montana-taxidermy.com

Posts: 241 | Location: Montana USA | Registered: 01 September 2008Reply With Quote