New
Find
Notify
Tools

Summer Trapping
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a big garden planted down by the creek. Last year i only planted turnips and the beavers came up the bank and dragged them all into the creek, they had paths and slides all over the place littered with half eaten turnips. I was thinking of that this year when i planted a spring garden of beans and other tender plants, so i put a 4 foot high fence all around it.

So far no beavers breaking in, but not so with the groundhogs. One groundhog burrowed under the fence and trimmed a bunch of bean leaves. I set two traps at the opening and had it the next day.

No problems after that except i planted some cucumbers near the fence so they could use it as a trellis. All the leaves that grew on the outside of the fence started getting ate off. I didn't know what would reach that high, except deer, so i set up a trail camera and had the answer in a few days. A groundhog was coming to the outside of the fence and it would climb up the fence to reach anything it could. It was all the way to the top of the fence so i was amazed and grateful it didn't jump inside but figured it was just a matter of time. So i set three big 1 3/4 Duke double laminated 4-coil traps which i cross staked. Same thing i use for coyotes. It's sort of weedy on the outside of the fence where they're set. But i noticed one was sprung and one seemed to be missing. I got to looking real close and about jumped out of my pants when a big groundhog lunged out of the weeds at me gnashing its teeth and growling. I'd forgotten the 22, so i had to go back and get it. One pest down and i re-set all the traps.

I just sowed my turnips, too. Maybe in November i'll cut a hole in the fence to tempt the beavers inside and lay down some traps in the path.

aim small, hit small

Posts: 1522 | Location: WV | Registered: 24 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Skyline
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately I have been doing a bit of summer beaver trapping. I have been skinning them and will dry the hides and ship them, but they won't bring much. Good thing the municipality pays me for the trapping or it would be a money losing proposition.

At least I can use the carcasses at the fall bear baits starting in the next few days.

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who are bereft of that gift.

Posts: 1814 | Location: Northern Rockies, BC | Registered: 21 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, i don't think i'd want to go to all the work of skinning a beaver in the summer when the hides weren't prime, but at least they're not going to waste.

Plinker

aim small, hit small

One of Us
Picture of Skyline
posted Hide Post
No I do not want to, but for beaver control work in the off season it happens to be a current local requirement for proof of kill and to get the 'bounty' payment from the government and the municipality. It is strictly for problem beavers not a wide open deal.

These beavers would be just getting shot and left by the landowners if I didn't trap them under my problem wildlife permit.

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who are bereft of that gift.

Posts: 1814 | Location: Northern Rockies, BC | Registered: 21 July 2006Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
Plinker, did you take those groundhog pictures?

If so, what sort of camera did you use? I'd love to have a camera with a motion sensing feature that I could leave on a game trail for a day.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good job Skyline. Beavers are such a valuable resource, even though they can be nusiance, it's worth the effort to use the skins. I kept all 3 of my beaver furs last year and tanned them. One turned out soft and plyable but only after using the orbital sander on it. I need to do the other two when i get time.

Mark, yes i "took" the pictures with Leaf River trail camera. It is one of the first models, i've had about 2 years and has been well worth the $. It can be a hobby into itself. They've since come down in price and up in quality. Sometimes the Leaf River seems a bit slow to trip, i have occasionally gotten blanks and half shots missing the best part. However,it has the best security method i've seen to strap it down and lock it. Get one, you'll like it.

Plinker

aim small, hit small

One of Us
Picture of Skyline
posted Hide Post
Plinker is it digital?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes, it's digital. You have two cards and when you go out to the field, you put card in and take one out, go to your computer and view the pictures, no waiting.

Plinker

aim small, hit small