New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dam Removal Itch
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I removed parts of three beaver dams 3 and 4 days ago. Wearing work boots on the downstream side, I got wet to the knees.

I now have a little irritation and itch. Anyone ever get this before? Is this from the beaver water?

Posts: 659 | Location: "The Muck", NJ | Registered: 10 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a classic case of "swimmers itch": http://www.cdc.gov/parasites/swimmersitch/faqs.html

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You are very lucky to have only a little itch. Beaver are known to tie their constructions together with the stems of poisen ivy. Good luck.

Posts: 94 | Location: Hastings, Mn | Registered: 08 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thought that's what they invented dynamite for. Big Grin

Grizz

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Those who can't skin, can hold a leg. Abraham Lincoln

Only one war at a time. Abe Again.

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Guys,

It's still hanging in there. Forgot to mention that NJDEP/EPA closed the superfund site a 1/4 mile away in the mid 80's. They used to make napalm there and still pump ground water through carbon filters that discharges to the river on the other side. I'll go with the itch theory, Thanks Grenadier.

Griz, I don't know if they still have dynamite here in NJ, we're just so politically correct I feel sorry for everywhere except California. Wink

Thanks again

Posts: 659 | Location: "The Muck", NJ | Registered: 10 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You got the swamp itch. Had that in Louisiana seining crawfish. Ain't no fun.

Dutch

One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
That stuff only happens in spring. The vector is snails and either waterfowl or aquatic rodent types.

I suffered constantly as a child from that stuff as I was always barefoot in the swamps. If there are snails in the water you will get this parasite. It causes the itch because it dies once inside our skin. Humans are not a suitable host. Again, it only causes this issue in the spring.

~Ann

Posts: 19149 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not from Texas but, while there I got into the chiggers. Someone told me to rub some diesel fuel on my legs. Sure enough that fixed the itch from them.

Later when I was trucking I never got 'em as I always had diesel on my boots n pants.
Late neighbor got into poison ivy while fishing and being a former trucker he washed his arm with diesel and said it cured it after a few times.

Might be something for you to try on a small area to see if it stops itching. Sure not going to hurt anything and it might help.

Good luck,
George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5943 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote