Find
Notify
Tools

double while calling cats
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
hello all,
i am fairly new to calling predators (2 yrs) and had a question. i am curious as to how many of you have called in two cats at once and got both. I had not even called in one cat, that i have saw, but this one stand held two, i shot the first one, and didn't even know there was a second one till it ran. i only had a few moments to load another round and get the cross hairs on the kitty, i shot and knew it hit it, but it ran into some tall grass. After retrieving the first one i went to look for the wounded one. Was leaving the area since i could find no blood and walked right onto it Smiler I will try to get a picture on here ASAP!

"It is allways better to keep your mouth shut and have people think you are stupid than to open it and prove them right."

Posts: 203 | Location: Hays Kansas | Registered: 05 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have never shot two cats in one set up, but then again, I have never shot one cat jumping

how about those pics?

sounds like you got a little lucky and made the shots.
Good for you!

Posts: 484 | Location: SLC, UT | Registered: 01 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can't figure out how to add pics... help!

"It is allways better to keep your mouth shut and have people think you are stupid than to open it and prove them right."

One of Us
Picture of GrayDuck
posted Hide Post
I had a buddy kill a double on cats in NE about a month ago. I don't think it's very common. To top it off he kill a third cat that day on another stand.

How long you lived in Hays? I grew up there.

"The best laid plans of mice and men often go awry" - Robert Burns

Posts: 226 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 30 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i've been around the hays area for around 15 yrs. have only lived her for 3-4. A 3 cat day would be something to remember for a while!

One of Us
Picture of RREESE
posted Hide Post
Bkmastr, if you will email me the pics, I will post them for you. rreese@houston.org

NRA Endowment Member

Posts: 269 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 23 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of RREESE
posted Hide Post
Bkmastr's cats

NRA Endowment Member

Posts: 269 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 23 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks RREESE! tu2

One of Us
Picture of RREESE
posted Hide Post
Happy to be of service. Smiler Tell us about your rifle/optics. Pretty radical. Is that the new Savage?

NRA Endowment Member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nope not the savage. It is a .223 Howa Axiom. I Absolutely love it. the only thing i dislike is, it is heavy. I have gotten used to it now, but when i first started calling a few months ago, it was a pain to carry the gun and my caller and my shotgun if i decided to carry it as well. As for the scope, it is a nikko stirling night eater 4-16. I bought the gun/scope as a combo. I've only called in 5 coyotes and these two cats and shot with my Howa. I've shot a few others, but they weren't called in.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here is a bobcat double I got with my Thompson Center TCR-87 using a .17 Hornet barrel. I got the young male in the lungs with a 20-grain Hornaday slug loaded to 3,650 fps. There was no exit hole. I did not see the mother until she ran off and stopped after running a few yards to look back. She was in some high grass so all I could see was her head. I grabbed the wrong ammo, a cartridge loaded with a 15-grain Berger bullet loaded to 3,950 fps and got lucky and hit her in the mouth, in the center between the lips. Again there was no exit hole but the skull, which I wanted to keep was ruined. I've had several potential chances to get doubles on coyotes, but was never quick enough to get off a second shot.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
WoW thats awesome. I was going to mount the first one i shot, but the taxidermist said the other one would be better to mount. I will be getting it back fairly soon i think Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great Scott, -Good Shot [x2] !! beer Congrats to both IOWADON & bkmastr !! clap

IOWADON-- the mounts are beautiful. Thanks for sharing.

bkmastr-- those sure look like hefty ones. You got 'em in Kansas? [-or so it looks in the photo]
-At about what did they weigh-in?
-Do post the taxidermy when you get it home.

patriot

Curiosity killed the cat... I had to look up the origin of the phrase; "Great Scott" ...

"The expression is of uncertain origin. It is believed to date back at least as far as the American Civil War, and may refer to the commander‑in‑chief of the U.S. Army, General Winfield Scott. The general, known to his troops as Old Fuss and Feathers, weighed 300 pounds (21 stone or 136 kg) in his later years and was too fat to ride a horse."

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes Kansas indeed. they look bigger than they actualy were. i'd guess the bigger female to be around 25lbs, and the little one around 17-20 possible. i will deffinately put a pic up! need to call the taxidermist to get a rough estimate of time left!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very good, Sir-

Ahh... the ol' taxidermy anticipation... popcorn

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Iowadon,
Nice looking cats. I prefer bobcat mounts with the mouth closed, it's more natural than some I've seen where they are "growling" with the teeth bared.

I've been on a cat hunt with hounds where we caught 3 in one night but never called up that many at once. Know someone who has though.

The Hunt goes on forever, the season never ends.

I didn't learn this by reading about it or seeing it on TV. I learned it by doing it.

Posts: 729 | Location: Central TX | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With Quote