New
Find
Notify
Tools

Browning BLR 81 Ltwt
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Curious about general opinions of subject rifle and how is the accuracy on them? Had a "steel" one several years ago in 308 and it was OK, but have been told that Browning has improved their barrels quite a bit and triggers are now around 4lbs. crisp let off?? Aluminum receiver is not an issue w/ me but like the overall pkg. of a lever gun for deer hunting here in WV. All input appreciated.

martin

Posts: 1328 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 19 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sam308
posted Hide Post
have one in .308 that is my go to whitetail rifle. it's surprisingly accurate. i get 1 to 1.25" 100 yd groups with factory ammo. mine is about 6 or 7 years old. the trigger is its worst feature (a little spongy), but it is a great rifle to carry around the woods. mine wears a 2-7 vx-II and it makes for a very light and quick shooting combo.

Posts: 344 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 27 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello sam626,
Thanks for the feedback. Scope you selected was one of the questions I meant to ask about and the one you have is what I have been considering as well. I don't need a lot of scope power for the ranges normally found here, and the 2-7x should work fine. I have considered one of the 1.5-5x Leupolds as well. I spoke to the factory recently and told them that some had warned me about the trigger and was told that spec. was between 4-6lbs. I can live with that and your accuracy is certainly good enough for my use. Again, thanks.

martin

Posts: 1328 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 19 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have one in .358win and its very accurate with handloads, around 1 MOA . I have a Weaver Grand Slam fixed 4.75X scope on it now, it was wearing a Leupy ultra light 2.5X but i found the magnification too low for me. The 1-5X 20mm Leupy would be perfect. I killed a big bodied 7 point and a doe last year with it and 200gr Remmy CLPSP and both deer died very quick, with a great blood trail.

Posts: 498 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: 22 May 2004Reply With Quote