THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LEVER ACTION RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Lever Action Rifles    .348 Model 71 Ammo - I love the North Fork Bullets
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.348 Model 71 Ammo - I love the North Fork Bullets
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I had been looking for some outstanding bullets for my old Model 71 Winchester (.348 cal), and recently got some of the North Fork (NF) ones. They look fantastic.
In comparing them to Hornady bullets and Barnes bullets, they appear to me to be a superior design. They have multiple driving bands and relief grooves that reduce barrel friction and pressure, with resulting higher velocities.
As I apply some basic principles of engineering, I came to the conclusion that the NF bullet design that has driving bands will yield a worthwhile increase in velocity while at the same time, the long ogive will substantially improve the bullet's retention of velocity at longer ranges. The fact that the NF bullet is 230 grains vs the Hornady being 200 grains and the Barnes being either 200 or 250, also makes me feel that the NF 230 grain bullet will be great for heavier quarry, such as elk, which I love to hunt.
I plan to buy the NF .348 bullets.
Bob Nisbet
Supporting US Army Aviation
Redstone Arsenal

Bob Nisbet
DRSS & 348 Lever Winchester Lover
Temporarily Displaced Texan
If there's no food on your plate when dinner is done, you didn't get enough to eat.

Posts: 830 | Location: Texas and Alabama | Registered: 07 January 2009Reply With Quote