THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LEVER ACTION RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Lever Action Rifles    Rebarrelling a WIn 92 from 32-20
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rebarrelling a WIn 92 from 32-20
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hi all,

My local 'smith has a number of '92 rifles, all in 32-20. I like the rifles, they're all inexpensive, but the calibre certainly doesn't light my fire!!

I've been thinking (Danger! Will Robinson Big Grin!) that a 218 Bee or 25-20 would be a nice carry around rifle for rabbits, hares, etc.,

I already have a 22, 22mag, 223 and 270, so I don't realy 'need' another gun, but I quite like the 92 in 25-20 for sentimental reasons, but I reckon the 218 Bee would be more useful...

WHat are your thoughts?

TIA

A gun is a tool. A moron is a moron. A moron with a hammer who busts something is still just a moron, it's not a hammer problem. Daniel77

Posts: 1275 | Location: Sydney, New South Wales, Australia | Registered: 02 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Back in the 50's one of our gang had a 92 saddle ring carbine in 25-20 and he used the 75 gr Sierra loaded single shot for woodchucks. He hunted them up and got quite a few. I had a 222 back then and it's the better cartridge of course for that.

For a walking varminter I would just have to fill the magazine myself for the 92 to be in it's element. That might mean flat pointed bullets for safety in the tubular magazine.

Know what I would use for a cartridge in that rifle? 32-20!

Join the NRA

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of C. A. Plater
posted Hide Post
.25-20 would be my choice too. You give up a bit of range over a .218 Bee but not really in a lever gun and the heavier bullet hits harder. If it were legal here, it would make a great turkey rifle anchoring them with out tearing up too much meat. I see Marlin has reintroduced the 1894CL in .32-20 and thought that would make a good donor rifle for a .25 conversion, a Winchester 92 would be better although inexpensive and Winchester 92 are seldom heard in the same sentence around here.

The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it. -- Thomas Jefferson
http://tcbunch.com

Posts: 181 | Location: Huntsville, Alabama | Registered: 21 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 218 Bee
posted Hide Post
Rugeruser,

Donkey's years ago my Dad took an old '92 in .25-20 with a badly pitted bore and sent it off to the folks at Winchester (I've still got their original correspondence) who screwed a .218 Bee barrel on in it's stead.

He carried that rifle in the Hill Country of Central Texas part of every season, and took a load of turkeys with it along with a few whitetails.

I cut my hunting teeth with that same rifle, taking my first deer with the combination. No, I ain't advocating the .218 Bee as a deer cartridge...but it's an old favorite of mine.

I've still got that dear old '92, and a day spent afield with it brings back a wash of memories of time spent with my father. Besides being a lot of fun, it keeps me close to his memory.

If you decide to do the work, I can't imagine how you'd be disappointed.

Good hunting,

Mark

DRSS

"I always take care to fire into the nearest hillside and, lacking that, into darkness." - the late Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Posts: 610 | Location: Coleman County, Texas | Registered: 05 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey thanks guys,

it sounds like you have an inkling of where I'm coming from - the very first c/f I fired was my Dad's '92 in 25-20... that's why I'm leaning in that direction - obviously, it won't be his gun handed down to me, but it'll be close enough to bring back a few memories (no idea what happened to his rifle, probably got sold at some stage).

Savage99, any reason you'd stick to the original 32-20 chambering, apart from keeping it original? We don't have turkeys to shoot here in Oz (well... not legally anyway)... the rifle would be used primarily for rabbit, hare, fox, feral dogs, etc.

C.A.Plater, I hear you - these '92's are going for about $AUS140 - don't know what that would translate to in $US, but it's certainly cheap here!!

A gun is a tool. A moron is a moron. A moron with a hammer who busts something is still just a moron, it's not a hammer problem. Daniel77

Posts: 1275 | Location: Sydney, New South Wales, Australia | Registered: 02 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ruger.Contact Sprinterarms in SA reguarding rebarreling .Must admit I'm in favor of the idea of the 25-20.It's a fine little round & it would only really be a rebarreling job not a great deal of gunsmithing involved.

all times wasted wot's not spent shootin

Posts: 569 | Location: Flinders Ranges. South Australia | Registered: 26 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks D-O-K, I'll give them a call.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I consider the 32-20 a better cartridge than the 25-20...Having used both in my youth, the 32-20 killed deer, Antelope, Bobcats, and coyotes a lot better than the 25-20 which was pretty darn lame..Neither is a great deer caliber however....The 218 Bee was a dandy, I had one of those in a Win bolt gun, also in a Hornet at one time...

I still want a Rem mod. 25 pump carbine in 32-20 WCF, I fed a lot of Mexican fence crews in Mexico with one of those one summer..wish I had kept it...I could pop a deer off my horse at up to 25 or 40 yards once in the lung/heart area and he wouldn't go more that 25 ot 50 yards. With the 25-20 they would go darn near a mile on ocassions..Actually two or three quick shots from my Win. 63 auto with L.R. Hollow points was the best medicine in those days, I suppose its the multiple hit therory at work, but they usually fell on the spot or after a very short run they would stop and stagger and fall...

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Old Elk Hunter
posted Hide Post
If you want an alternative, Marlin did chamber a few 1894 rifles in 218 Bee. I had one with a Ducks Unlimited medalion in the stock. Looked ugly to me.

RELOAD - ITS FUN!