New
Find
Notify
Tools

advice needed
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have owned a few lever guns but they have long since found new homes.But I am primarily a handgun hunter and am thinking of purchasing a lever gun to occasionally accompany me to the field.Which brand and what barrel length have you guys had good experiences with.Accuracy is my first priority,function second and availability(gun not ammo) and then appearance lastly.Deer,blackbear,and maybe hogs would be the animals it would be used on.Thanks for the info.Oh I guess caliber might help,45 colt.

"If you get to thinkin' you're a person of some influence,try orderin' someone else's dog around" unknown cowboy

Posts: 237 | Location: Eastern NC | Registered: 02 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty Marlin
posted Hide Post
Personally I prefer the Marlin 94 over the Winchester 92. You can add a scope easily because of the side ejection and they come drilled and tapped.

Rusty's Action Works
Montross VA.
Action work for Cowboy Shooters &
Manufacturer of Stylized Rigby rifle sights. http://i61.photobucket.com/alb.../th_isofrontleft.jpg

Posts: 863 | Location: Northern Neck Va | Registered: 14 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought a used '86 miroku winchester this past fall and love it. Killed 6 or 7 deer with it too. It's at turnbull's right now having that abomniable saftey removed and the reciever, lever, hammer, butt plate and forend cap case hardened. cant wait to get it back. It has become one of my all time favorite rifles.

DRSS

Posts: 1168 | Location: Pamplico, SC USA | Registered: 24 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
oh.......an 86 would be my suggestion by the way.

DRSS

Posts: 1168 | Location: Pamplico, SC USA | Registered: 24 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Marlin 1894 and an Winchester 92 replica (mine's from Navy Arms), and as a hunting gun, the 1894 is my favorite because it's easier to mount optics or a receiver sight on the 1894 since it has a flat-top reciever and comes drilled and tapped. The only thing I'd change is getting rid of the stupid hammer block safety

Posts: 641 | Location: SW Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 10 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have had several lever action rifles and I really like my Marlin 1895 XLR. It's chambered in .45/70 and if I shoot something with it, that something dies, with two holes 9 times out of 10.

It is easy to mount a scope on a Marlin and the price is reasonable.

Posts: 816 | Location: Whitlock, TN | Registered: 23 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cottonstalk:
I have owned a few lever guns but they have long since found new homes.But I am primarily a handgun hunter and am thinking of purchasing a lever gun to occasionally accompany me to the field.Which brand and what barrel length have you guys had good experiences with.Accuracy is my first priority,function second and availability(gun not ammo) and then appearance lastly.Deer,blackbear,and maybe hogs would be the animals it would be used on.Thanks for the info.Oh I guess caliber might help,45 colt.

I started using a .450 Marlin Guide Gun a few years ago. It has turned out to be a reliable and accurate firearm.

Tom

Tom Kessel
Hiland Outfitters, LLC (BG-082)
Hiland, Wyoming
www.hilandoutfitters.com

Posts: 402 | Location: Central Wyoming | Registered: 14 March 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post

My choice would be a winchester 1895 in 30-06 or an 1886 in 45-70.

Posts: 5713 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would go with a Marlin also ,but in 45 Colt. Use nickled cases to differentiate your revolver vs. rifle ammo.

DRSS
Beretta 45-70 belgian mag
Tikka 512S 9.3 x 74R
Baikal o/u 30-06
Looking for next one

Posts: 290 | Location: Western Colorado | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote