Find
Notify
Tools

BLR gunsmith
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of prof242
posted
Who would you consider to be the best, current, gunsmith for the Browning Lever Action?

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't know of anyone. The only one I knew of in the past was Z Hat custom. Last I hear a whole lot of people are looking for him. So he is probable not a good option. Choose a smith carefully as the BLR is a real bitch to put back together right. I sent mine to Browning repair and it came back with the action out of time and would not fire.

Posts: 448 | Registered: 27 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't know if they can help you or not, but might check out Midwest Gun Works who is a supplier of Browning firearms, parts, etc. Out of curiosity, what 'smith work are you wanting done for your BLR??

Posts: 1328 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 19 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
I want a BLR in .450 Marlin rechambered to .458 WSM.

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I worked at a shop that handled warranty work for Browning, and most everyone else, back in the '70's. Putting them back together can be a little "trying" the first time, but it's really not that bad, just a matter of timing. I eventually bought and use an '81 in .358. I like it - alot. The only work it's required is trigger work. Friend has an early Belgium-made model that was given him as a gift. Some years ago, he took it apart and lost the sear. We spent a year looking for parts - Midwest was no help, Browning was even less help. Finally bought all the internals on eBay on 2 different auctions. Think he paid $150 or so and was happy to do it. I picked up an extractor, just in case. If it wasn't for the lack of parts support, BLR's in .308 would replace the half dozen or so Marlin 336's we have scattered throughout the family. No trouble supporting them! Haven't looked at the specs for your rechambering but would sure check feeding through the magazine.

Keep your plow and sword, know how to use both.

Posts: 39 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 11 January 2003Reply With Quote