THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LEVER ACTION RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Lever Action Rifles    130 grain Speer and Win93, 30-30
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

130 grain Speer and Win93, 30-30
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'm having a hard time getting the 130 grain speers to group for me in my Win 94 in 30-30.

What powders have you had luck with using the 130's

I'm sure part of my problem is that they are wayyyyyyy off of the lands. The 130 is far more slim in the front and I can't set out more than I already have or they will not fit through the action.

10mm Glock,,,15 rounds of,,,,ahhhhhhhh

Location Western NC,,, via alot of other places,
One wife
Two kids
Three Glocks
and a couple cats.

Posts: 376 | Location: Western, NC, USA | Registered: 29 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
H335 and H4895. You can't pack enough H4895 to get above 2600fps with the 130gr, but it is soft shooting. You can get enough H335 behind a 130gr to rattle your teeth and get above 2700fps from a 20" barrel - so be careful.

37gr of H4895, Speer 130gr FP, WLR primers, Rem NP brass, Lee FCD, average velocity = 2580fps, 20" barrel. Compressed load.

The following is an absolute maximum load and you may die using it. Start 10% lower and work up. Your goal is not to set a speed record, rather it is to find the "sweet spot" with your rifle for maximum accuracy.

39gr H335, Speer 130gr Flat Nose, WLR primers, Remington Nickle Plated brass, Lee Factory Crimp. Average velocity = 2700fps from a 20" barrel @55*F

I like H335 the best, except for the flash, for light bullets. It meters well and you can dial it in to find that sweet spot. H4895 is a better choice for heavier bullets.

Well, at least have an OK day Smiler

Posts: 242 | Location: NW Oregon | Registered: 08 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
WinkThanks I dont want to blow up my baby 30-30 or myself!!!!!

I will try some of your powders, I like the little better speed of the 130 grain. I get good groups with the 150's and Varget powder,,,,I just started reloading for the 30-30,,,it's the smallest thing I've ever reloaded for so I have been using 7mm-08 powder,,,,I plan to start real at least 10% low,,,,probably near the starting point in my load manuals and work up,,,I do not mind taking my time and charting the progress and developements of added .25 grains at a time if need be,,,

Thanks for the real life loads and yep I'll be careful!

Location Western NC,,, via alot of other places,
One wife
Two kids
Three Glocks
and a couple cats.

Posts: 376 | Location: Western, NC, USA | Registered: 29 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of C. A. Plater
posted Hide Post
I've got my quickest loads for the 130 grain using Reloader 7 followed by IMR3031. 30 grains was the listed maximum charge and I achieved that without pressure signs. Every gun is different so approach those powder levels carefully. Accuracy was not good with this load but then nothing ever was and have since rebarreled the rifle to .38-55. I do use the same load in my Contender barrel but with spire point bullets and it likes it just fine.

The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it. -- Thomas Jefferson
http://tcbunch.com

Posts: 181 | Location: Huntsville, Alabama | Registered: 21 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I never had much luck with light bullets in a Win. or Marlin...The twist is usually wrong, however I am sure some guns will shoot them, that just the nature of barrels, they tend to defy technology and common since sometimes....

At any rate I found the 150s would do about a 30-30 is capable of doing and the 170s always suited me better for deer....

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42165 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote