Notify
Tools

Wild West Large Loop?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Clayman
posted
All,

Am considering buying a WWG large loop for my Marlin 444SS and wondering if anyone has any experience installing them? I've seen instances where folks just dropped them in and others where a little smoothing/stoning was required. I think it's a great idea and look forward to it this year when hunting with gloves on.

Thoughts/experiences? Thanks in advance!

Posts: 1225 | Location: Gilbertsville, PA | Registered: 08 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
Hopefully, it will be a drop in fit. Sometimes there is fitting involved as the cam on the end of the arm will not properly fit the slot on the bolt. This will result in not being able to get the bolt in or the action not fully closing or opening fully. Nothing that you should not be able to figure out. I am positive Wild West would walk you through any problem if you gave them a phone call.

Posts: 5713 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I put a WWG large loop on my Marlin 1895 Guide Gun.
Perfect drop in fit, no issues. Also did the one
piece extractor/ejector and the metal magazine follower. Get rid of the plastic one. Also got the magazine accessory fitting for Lazer/light combo under the magazine tube. Installed SureFire
Lazer/light. Worked great. Then acquired a Skinner rear peep sight (armored model).
This is my GO To gun for elk in dark timber,
short range.(75 yds or less) The 45-70 loaded with North Fork bullets will gin up 2100 fps. Results are devastating.
Hopes this helps.

Tetonka
DRSS
Band of 45-70ers

Posts: 295 | Location: Willow City, Texas & Polebridge, Montana | Registered: 12 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have one on my winchester, and I really think it needs something smaller. I know there are some intermediate sizes, I assume they drop in for the most part.

Posts: 1646 | Location: Euless, TX | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I did the same and also the WWG trigger. Dropped in and pull went from 6 lbs to 3 lbs. Well worth all that stuff.
quote:
Originally posted by tetonka:
I put a WWG large loop on my Marlin 1895 Guide Gun.
Perfect drop in fit, no issues. Also did the one
piece extractor/ejector and the metal magazine follower. Get rid of the plastic one. Also got the magazine accessory fitting for Lazer/light combo under the magazine tube. Installed SureFire
Lazer/light. Worked great. Then acquired a Skinner rear peep sight (armored model).
This is my GO To gun for elk in dark timber,
short range.(75 yds or less) The 45-70 loaded with North Fork bullets will gin up 2100 fps. Results are devastating.
Hopes this helps.

Tetonka
DRSS
Band of 45-70ers

White Mountains Arizona

Posts: 2855 | Registered: 31 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Clayman
posted Hide Post
Figured I'd give the forum a quick update on this since I started the thread more than four months ago. The WWG levers finally came back into stock at Midway and other vendors, so I couldn't resist getting myself a little Xmas present. I ordered one for the 444 and just put it on today. The fit is tight from the factory, so much so that the action wouldn't close. With a little 400 grit sanding stone and a little polishing, I was able to get an absolutely perfect fit. The new lever is very comfortable and actually locks the action up tighter than the factory lever. It took very, very minimal finishing to get it installed, owing to either the precise machining of the part and/or the inherent tolerances built into the Marlin action.

Say what you want about them, but you can't fit a gloved hand inside a factory loop. I don't even have big hands and can verify that. I just got back from 5 days of deer hunting where I had lots of time to think about that and come to some conclusions. I love the loop and would recommend to anyone who's considering one.

Posts: 1225 | Location: Gilbertsville, PA | Registered: 08 December 2005Reply With Quote