New
Find
Notify
Tools

ROSSI 92
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
this weekend just gone i shot a ROSSI MODEL 92 in 454 .....i was really taken back by the power of that little cartridge in this rifle
Just want to ask is the ROSSI L/A the strongest rifle/to take these high pressure cartridges
is it possible to convert one of these to the 475 L
Any help would be much appreciated

Posts: 1480 | Location: AUSTRALIA | Registered: 07 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
The Rossi 92 is the only 454 made from the factory that I know of. I think pressure wise the .475L is about the same or less. My guess is that it might be too long to fit the action.
Marlin put one in the catalogue several years ago but never released the gun because the 336 could not take the pressure. The fact that it was on the 336 action leads me to believe it will be too long for a Rossi 92. The 92 is a handgun length action. If you had to go to the 71/86 frame to chamber the 475L --- you might as well just buy a .475 turnbull and be done with it.

Posts: 5707 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I will be getting a Rossi 92 in the 480 Ruger in two weeks and that is just a shade shorter and about 100-150fps less powerful than the 475L...so I will see if the 475L will fit (of couse I won't be firing any 475L level loads in this levergun since I believe the factory loaded 480 is at the upper end of what this rifle will take).

Posts: 4115 | Location: Pa. | Registered: 21 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Woodrow S:
I will be getting a Rossi 92 in the 480 Ruger in two weeks and that is just a shade shorter and about 100-150fps less powerful than the 475L...so I will see if the 475L will fit (of couse I won't be firing any 475L level loads in this levergun since I believe the factory loaded 480 is at the upper end of what this rifle will take).

Where are you getting your 480R?

I want one so bad I can tast it...

But

all three of my sons are getting married in the next 6 months...

So my wife has taken all our money for that.

I do love my M92 in 45 Colt...

BTW

Really where are you getting your 480R?

Snake

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I feel for you...both my sons have gotten married recently, one in October and the other just a month ago. I bought mine on a layaway plan on gunbroker. There is one on there right now for a bit less than I paid for mine 2 months ago. They don't come around very often so you grab one when you see it...otherwise it could be a year or more until you see another. They only get more expensive as time goes along too. I can't wait until I get it though. It will go very well with my Ruger Alaskan in 480.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My buddy bought 5 of the 480 Ruger 1892's when they first came out. I bought the last one from him for $500. They are built on the Rossi frame and modified to 454 or 480 by Puma.
They feed rough and have crappy rear sights from the factory. I recomend the ghost ring peep sight, that replaces the stupid safety switch on the bolt. You can get anything you want for a 92 at "Steves Guns dot com". He is the 1892 master. I mounted a scout scope rail and big loop lever on mine.
ND Smiler

Stephen Grant 500BPE
Joseph Harkom 450BPE

Posts: 625 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 21 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i have a highly customized rossi 454 from steve's gunz and it is absolutely awesome. handles anything i can throw in it. the 475 is no longer and not as high a pressure as the upper 454 loads. not sure why ya'd need a 475 as the 454 will do anything it will with alot more versatiliy. if ya find a 480 ruger it'll be perfect and the rifle with hit 475 linebaugh velocities easy. congrats on the purchase. i've used mine a bunch and is easily now my favorite lever action.

Posts: 559 | Location: texas | Registered: 31 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tradmark:
i have a highly customized rossi 454 from steve's gunz and it is absolutely awesome. handles anything i can throw in it. the 475 is no longer and not as high a pressure as the upper 454 loads. not sure why ya'd need a 475 as the 454 will do anything it will with alot more versatiliy. if ya find a 480 ruger it'll be perfect and the rifle with hit 475 linebaugh velocities easy. congrats on the purchase. i've used mine a bunch and is easily now my favorite lever action.

Steve did my 45 Colt.

He is a great guy

When I get my 480R he will work that out too

Snake

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Woodrow S:
I feel for you...both my sons have gotten married recently, one in October and the other just a month ago. I bought mine on a layaway plan on gunbroker. There is one on there right now for a bit less than I paid for mine 2 months ago. They don't come around very often so you grab one when you see it...otherwise it could be a year or more until you see another. They only get more expensive as time goes along too. I can't wait until I get it though. It will go very well with my Ruger Alaskan in 480.

I know...

I want one to go with my SBH

and

It will make my oldest son cry

That is a plus

Snake

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Picked up my Rossi/Puma 92 in 480 Ruger today and managed to shoot it some. It is of surprisingly high quality with excellent fit/finish and quite accurate to boot. I shot factory Hornady loads consisting of 325gr XTP Mag bullets and shot a 1.5" 3-shot group @ 50yds with the irons in a standing position. The thing holds half a box of ammo too. I dug the expanded bullets out of the dirt backstop and it pretty much flattened the bullets out to about 5/8" or so with maybe 1/4" of shank left...that should do nicely for deer and black bear. I am very satisfied with it for sure. If you jack a round in slow it is a little rough but goes into the chamber with no problem...but if you do it fairly quickly it glides right in with no issues. I think this just might replace a custom stocked pre-64 Winchester model 94 in 32 Special as my go to gun for these eastern whitetails and steep mountain-side black bear.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Woodrow, I got the 92/480 you put me on to. I have found much the same, a little rough if you go slow, slick as snot if you work the lever the way you should.
I have been loading 355 LFN from Jae-Bok Young, 25 grn of Lil'gun shows less primer flattening then the factory hornady and are running at 1820 FPS. The factory 325's I recovered from a dirtbank in back of the target were over.900" in dia. I am looking foreward to more load work with differant bullets. It's a doozy!