THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LEVER ACTION RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Lever Action Rifles    Winchester Model 94 30.30 - Trigger Issues
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Winchester Model 94 30.30 - Trigger Issues
 Login/Join

posted
I have just acquired a Win Mod 94 30.30 and after cycling it a few times have noticed that the trigger stop safety feature appears to have somehow malfunctioned. The trigger has alot of play and the trigger stop mechanism does not seem to engage. Being my first lever action rifle am at a bit of a loss???? Anyone with any suggestions???

Posts: 22 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 15 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The triggers all have a lot of play. The way the trigger stop works varies. My pre-64's hold the lever up tight against the receiver so the safety doesn't do anything when the lever is closed. My post-64's let the lever hang down a little so you need to hold the lever up to disengage the safety. There may not be anything wrong at all.

posted Hide Post
Marc...thanks so much for that...turns out that the small paper clip like spring that tensions the trigger stop had slipped off so I have now sorted that out..have spent some time with this rifle during the course of the weekend and fired a box of ammo through it yesterday....another question to you if I may....it cycles smoothly when there is no ammo but as soon as I try and load ammo into the chamber it becomes ALOT more difficult to close the lever completly....is this normal to have significantly more resistance??
Await your reply with keen interest,and thanks again for your help

one of us
posted Hide Post
You are probably feeling the extra force needed to snap the extractor over the cartridge rim. I have one like that. Watch the extractor and see if that is what it is.

All I know to do is to make sure the extractor is not bound by rust or dirt in the slot and lube it a little.

posted Hide Post
Yep that is exactly what it is but my question is....is it normal for one to have to exert that much more pressure to close the lever to be ready for firing??

one of us
posted Hide Post
It varies. I have one rifle made in 1939 that takes a lot of pressure. My other rifles not so much. I have thought about taking that extractor out and thinning it down some. I have heard they get easier with more use too. If your rifle hasn't been used much it may improve with use.

posted Hide Post
Thanks Marc for the info.....working a little blind here.....it shoots like a gem,,,am very happy with it and am sure will have alot of fun with it....thanks again for your input!