Find
Notify
Tools

Re: winchester 32 spl?'s
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
lubbockdave:

An old man is about to mix into a fight that maybe he should stay out of.

A long time ago I read a comment about the Win.32 Special. The writer said and I never forgot it because I laughed (I think it was in Barnes' "Cartridges of the World"): "The 32 Win. Special is great for anyone who doesn't think that smokeless powder is here to last". (The 30-30 was an original smokeless powder cartridge)

I don't collect so I have no comment on prices to pay for a Win. 32 Special. It wasn't a bad cartridge in its day (long before I was born and I'm 74)if the old mag writers are correct but the 30-30 erased it.Get it as a collector's piece but don't shoot at deer with it.

Posts: 649 | Location: NY | Registered: 15 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have also heard that a lot of older 32 Specials don't shoot well for some reason. Maybe due to black powder loads? I have an old Marlin 93 in 32 Special that shoots FANTASTIC groups with Remington factory ammo. I would not hesitate to use it on deer. Those corelokts are great game bullets.

Posts: 129 | Location: Kennerdell,PA | Registered: 04 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My Marlin in 32special shoots just fine and has been and will continue to be used for deer as circumstances warant. It has been used for at least three peoples first deer. It's been to Africa and I hope it gets back again as I still want a big bushbuck bad.

Posts: 3174 | Location: Warren, PA | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hobie
posted Hide Post
Dave,

I must NOT be livin' right... Send pics!

Posts: 2324 | Location: Staunton, VA | Registered: 05 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
thank you all for your in put--I hope to have the gun in my grubby little hands next week!

and Hobie-I will post picts! Yoou still enjoying that 357??

one of us
posted Hide Post
[image]http://www.hunt101.com/showphoto.php?photo=207321&sort=7&thecat=500&password=[/image]

maybe this will take to a pict of my find...

one of us
posted Hide Post
$175 for a pre-64 Winchester is a bargain.

Don't let anyone tell you a 32 Win Special is a dud..

Its nothing more than a 30-30 necked up to .32. I know, I feed mine with 30-30 brass by simply running it through a .32 Win Spc. sizing die.

Hornady makes a great .32 cal 170 gr interlok bullet.

It's a fine cartridge and is every bit as accurate as a 30-30 and performs on game with identical results.

Posts: 457 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 25 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 32 Win Spec supposedly can lose accuracy after considerable usage due to its 1-16" twist rate compared to the 1-12" that most 30-30's come with. It would take a whole lot of shooting to get that kind of wear taking place, and you can always aspire to get to that point. :-)

If I had a chance at a 94 in 32 Special at $175 in decent shape, I'd be on it like a cheap suit. It's a fine deer and black bear cartridge, and is at least as good a cast boolit caliber as the 30-30.

By the serial number, it's a pre-64 I believe.

Posts: 299 | Location: Yucaipa CA | Registered: 21 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
An article in American Rifleman in 1940s with statistics claimed .32 Spl was considerably better deer killer than .30-30.

Posts: 1233 | Registered: 25 November 2002Reply With Quote