Find
Notify
Tools

Quickload for .45-70
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted
Does anyone here have access to Quickload? Would you mind running a couple of equations in it for me?

In trying to devise a Win 748 load for cast slugs in my Miroku 86 Winchester .45-70, I've been urged to ask someone to run two sets of data for it, one to 28,000 psi and another to 40,000.

The lubricated, gas-checked bullets (from a Redding/Saeco No.19 mould) weigh 468 grains and will be seated to .585" below the mouth of Starline brass that is 2.095" long.

A poster on Cast Boolits says a Brian Pierce has found Starline cases to have a mid-range total volume of 77.5 grains of water.

My Winchester Short Rifle's barrel is 24 inches long.

I've posted on the Reloading forum, too, but to keep the conversation focused and to aid RIP's Mission, would appreciate your answering on the Big Bores forum 458 Winchester Magnum thread.

Thanks in anticipation

PS: It occurs to me now to mention I'll be using CCI No. 250 magnum primers, which seem to be indicated for use with W748.

Posts: 4966 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
sambar,if you might consider using 5744 powder (which I do on all my cast rifle loads) you can call Accurate Powders toll free (well maybe not from Oz)+ their ballistician will tell you all the data over the phone.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
Some American Powder suppliers have their load manuals on line.
Search on accurate powders and see. There are many other on line sources of load data.

I use 5744 in some 45-90 loads and it works well.

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Thanks NC and CR, we seem to have a supply problem in regard to American powders, partly because of explosive-shipping restrictions. I'll make inquiries about 5744 but will be a bit surprised if I find any. AR2207 (H4198), on the other is plentifully available and likely to be my next acquisition.

Meanwhile, anyone with Quickload?

Posts: 4966 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
Quickload?
Nah, I am too old to learn new tricks. Took all I had to learn and use Pressure Trace II, but the results were very useful.

4198 seems to be a good powder for long straight case rifle cartridges (.405 WCF, 45-70 and 90 , .458 Win Mag) and there is an amazing amount of load data available.
My used 45-70 double came with 100 rounds of 300 grain ammo loaded with IMR 4198. These are light deer loads at 1550 fps and 13,250 psi. It is accurate with very little recoil and what more is needed to kill deer and hogs? I located this load in the current Lyman manual.

DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Thanks CR, that's a good-looking critter with one good tusk, at least. Smiler

We can get H4198 easily, as it's made here and sold as AR2207. I might get some to go with 405-grain bullets.

One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post

Yes, the right side was good for mounting, but he had broken both big ones on the left side.
All the boars weighed over 250 and the largest went over 300 pounds - that one is Taxidermist bound.

My boar was parted out to other hunters as follows:
Cutters to supplement another mount with broken teeth
Meat to supplement a small porker shot by a father of a family that needed sausage meat.

DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at

One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Have redacted my post above to account for the possibility that the animal may have supported Collingwood Football Club. Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm leaning toward 44 gr of Reloader 7 under a 405 gr. cast bullet in my Marlin 1895.

Posts: 277 | Location: Murphy, TX | Registered: 21 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Yes, Ske1eter, I've got some Reloader 7 but it is hard to get here now and works even better in my 375 Winchester, so I'm saving it for that purpose.

one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
Sambarman338
I think they also need the bullet length to run the calculation

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4231 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Yes, TC, I supplied that, probably on the Reloading or Big Bore forums (trying to increase the chance of a reply).

It's an interesting thought, though, particularly since I've had to flatten the meplats of some bullets, hoping to make them safer in the magazine. Some of these I've done by squishing them lengthways and some by filing the tips, reducing weight.

In your opinion, would reducing the length but not the weight increase pressure, even if there is no increase in bullet diameter?

The original bullet averages 1.175" long but the 468-grain squished ones are only about 1.15".

The ones I filed down now average about 1.13" but they only weigh about 460 grains.

Thanks if you or anyone else here can tell me if these shorter bullet lengths reduce or increase pressure.

I'll take the new figures to the Big Bores forum's 458 Winchester Magnum thread, too, where RIP seems happy to run anything that helps his 'mission'.

One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
Sam B Mann,
Your book on rifle scopes arrived today!

Yay, something new and interesting to read so I will not watch election results on the Boob Tube.

Mucho Gracias!

DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at

One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Thanks CR, hopefully it will calm any anger. If all else fails, you might find it good bedtime reading Smiler

One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
So far so good- I am nearly 1/2 way through but have to hit the sack now .

Btw, interesting that your book publisher is Bunduki Books, same publisher of "Building Double Rifles on Shotgun Actions" by Ellis Brown with whom I hunted hogs a couple weeks ago. He shot a nice boar too with a .45-70 double he made.

DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at

One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Sssh,
with luck CR has a better means to getting off to sleep than hot milk. Smiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's NOT the bullets length per se that affects pressure...although ANY changes in component parameters CAN effect pressure.

It's the VOLUME of the case from the BASE of the BULLET to the base of the interior...the "bottom" of the case INSIDE...that effects pressure. As long as that area remains constant variations in bullet length and weight play only a small part in the P/V curve as long as you're not going nutz with the powder amounts...then all bets are off.

ANY change in bullet weight CAN effect pressure but for all intents and purposes a few grains of weight gain/loss isn't a major problem...just drop your load amount by a few grains and start the testing again...there are other factors that have a greater effect on pressure like bullet construction (mono, lead, gilding, brass, etc), "drag"(friction) area and so forth.

I've found that AA2460, AA2230, AA2495 RL-7, H322, 3031, H4198, H4895,(might provide highest velo)to be excellent powders in my 45 cal leverguns...i.e., 458 Amer, 450 Marlin & 45-70 cartridges...AA2460 and H4895 being the best with long case life and excellent accuracy with 300-450 gr bullet weights.

Goto Beartooth Bullets and check out the data on the 525 gr "Pile driver"...LOTS of good data there.

The net is full of info on the 45-70 Lever-gun reloading data...you just have to dig it out.

As far as mucking about reforming/deforming bullets I find either buying a mold or bullets to be much more satisfying. You NEVER know, unless you are very careful, just how accurate the bullets actually are after waving a file or a pair of nippers at a bullet...besides a slightly lighter bullet at a higher velocity provides higher striking energy and maybe a bit more upset which translates into more actual whack at the bitter end.

Good Hunting tu2 beer

One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Thanks NONAGONAGIN,
will take that info on board. I just bought some AR2207 (H4198) this morning, thinking to use it with the Woodleigh 405-grainers I've got.

I've discovered that the starting load velocity for this powder is damned near the maximum load's yield with W748.