THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LEVER ACTION RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Lever Action Rifles    Anyone have a Uberti 1866 45 LC ?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone have a Uberti 1866 45 LC ?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Concho42
posted
Just got one at Cabela's would appreciate information as to reloading 45 LC ammo for this rifle , Bullet weight and style , best powder and primer ? bullet mold # please I make them from wheel weights !

Don't take the chip !

Posts: 578 | Location: PA | Registered: 21 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
I've shot one for years in CAS. I use the same loads for the handgun, pretty mild, but any std vel 45colt load will work fine. I would hesitate to use the Ruger heavy loads, but full power 45colt is fine. Thing 255gr-300gr lead bullets pushed by 2400, 1100fps or so, perfect. The Lee 255grRNFP runs perfectly in this rifle.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A friend has a Uberti 1866 carbine. I have a Uberti 1873 rifle, which has a similar action. Ideal hand loads depend on what you want to use it for. We use the same loads as in our single actions for CAS - 200 gr RNFP with moderate loads of Clays or Unique for approx 1000 fps (750 fps in the handguns). Light recoil and pretty economical for a lot of shooting. For long range targets or hunting try a 300 gr SWC with slower powders up to 1200 fps. These actions don't handle pressure as well as 1892 Winchester or 1894 Marlin, so keep pressures conservative. Since the 45 Colt has a straight case there will be more gas blow back than with a bottle-neck case like the .44-40. Faster powders seem to reduce that. These rifles are also more sensitive about overall cartridge length for reliable feeding than the rifles above. Rounds too long or too short will both cause jams that are a pain to clear. If you can work with these quirks the rifles are a lot of fun.

Conewago

Posts: 121 | Location: Reading, PA, USA | Registered: 12 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Concho42
posted Hide Post
Thank you Conewago !

Don't take the chip !

Posts: 578 | Location: PA | Registered: 21 March 2007Reply With Quote