THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LEVER ACTION RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Lever Action Rifles    Ramshot Big Game powder for 30-30?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ramshot Big Game powder for 30-30?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Probably a goofy question, but I was snoopin around in the reloading cave, found a box of Sierra 170s. I,ve got the usual suspects for 30-30 powder, but I,ve also got a couple jugs of Big Game that I never seem to get into. Found a little reloading data, not much..

Just wondering if anybody has used this powder for 30-30, if so, good bad or indifferent results?

Burn rate, looks to be getting on the slow side, still, kinda curious...

Posts: 806 | Location: Ketchikan, Alaska | Registered: 24 April 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Muttly

I have not used Big Game in my 30-30 but here is some data from LoadData

Bullet-170 grain Speer Deep Curl
Start 34.0 grains
Max 38.0 grains with a velocity of 2197fps from a 24 inch barrel

You are right that it is not the best powder for this application but might work some careful load development

Good luck

Paul

"Diligentia - Vis - Celeritas"
NRA Benefactor Member
Member DRSS

Posts: 1026 | Location: Southeastern PA, USA | Registered: 14 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
KInda thinking 32-33 grains might be the place to start..

Posts: 806 | Location: Ketchikan, Alaska | Registered: 24 April 2011Reply With Quote