Find
Notify
Tools

help for loading the 44 40
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of greghud
posted
i have to get some lead cast projectiles for my mates win 94 action in 44 40.
i dont have it to slug the bore but i would like to know if the barrel is 429 or 427 the usual barrel diamater is 427 but i have heard of some guns being manufactured with the same barrel as the 44 mag. and that is 429.
i dont want to waist buying 500 projies in 427 only to find it wont shoot but dont want to go over dia eather. anyone have or know of the win 44 40 barrels?
greg

Posts: 383 | Location: top end oz | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My original 1873, manufactured in 1916, has a groove diameter of .430". I don't believe any of the modern made Winchesters used .427". It will most likely be .429" or more. I have a Big Bore 94 in 444 Marlin that measures .432".

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
The big bore 94 .444 is listed as .430 in the specs sheet but you slugged yours and it is .432??? I have one is why I am curious and have been trying to shoot .430's.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37878 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I did slug it but it was some time ago. Now that I think about it, maybe I decided that I needed a .432" bullet to shoot in it. The rifle got set aside because I didn't have a mold that cast that large of a bullet. I ought to try it again since I have a couple other 44 molds now. I will see if I can find my notes or the slug for it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
ledvm,
I found my notes. The bore on the 444 Big Bore is .424" and the groove is .431". Twist is 24". A .430" cast bullet might be a little small. Have you had any luck with it?

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Have you had any luck with it?

Well...I just kinda got started on the project. But if it doesn't "shoot", I'll know to slug the bore as it might be larger than I was told. I have shot some of the loads off hand but I need to put them off the bench to see what they are really doing. The groups did seem a bit large even for me (not the greatest off-hand shooter)!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37878 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of GunCat
posted Hide Post
I have a 94 re-barreled to 44-40.. (Numrich once sold a “conversion kit” consisting of a Winchester barrel, cartridge guides and carrier). In my case the barrel slugged .429

Steve Rose
----------
Rose Action Sports, LLC
www.roseactionsports.com

Posts: 189 | Location: Western Kentucky | Registered: 02 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jpat
posted Hide Post
I have a 1892 .44-40 that is a .427 barrel. Cast lead and jacketed bullets are cheaper than .429 bullets. I bought 500 160gr cast lead for $14.00 and 500 205gr cast lead Hornady's for $19.00. Jacketed SP bullets were 12.00 per 100.
Cheap to shoot.

Posts: 447 | Location: NH | Registered: 09 May 2008Reply With Quote