THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LEVER ACTION RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Lever Action Rifles    Have you guys seen these lever guns?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Have you guys seen these lever guns?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I saw this a week ago or so. I think the premium is an awesome looking rifle. I do wonder what they would cost. Ron

http://www.davide-pedersoli.co...71-lever-action.html

Posts: 985 | Location: Southern Idaho | Registered: 24 March 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Krueger
posted Hide Post
Latest members on my fantasy list

Posts: 9 | Location: Southern Wisconsin | Registered: 23 August 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I believe Cabelas is selling them for around $1600. Take a look in their latest "Shooting" catalog.

quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Ron:
I saw this a week ago or so. I think the premium is an awesome looking rifle. I do wonder what they would cost. Ron

http://www.davide-pedersoli.co...71-lever-action.html

Posts: 73 | Location: WI | Registered: 20 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Neat but they are still a top ejecting winchester that is hard to mount a scope on.

Posts: 19432 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
Neat but they are still a top ejecting winchester that is hard to mount a scope on.

Using a scope is hardly a priority in real life.
Learn to use a reciever sight.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SR4759:
quote:

Using a scope is a priority in real life they are faster allow for better shot placement.

If they don't do that for you You need to learn to use a scope properly.

I am sure none of your rifles have scopes right I guess you should take all your scopes and throw them away. Because iron and reciever sights are so superior to scopes get a life.

Learning to use a reciever sight as nothing to do with having poorer eye sight.

Or trying to shoot in low light long distances on small targets.

Picking holes to shoot through in brush and woods.

There are many reasons a scope is so much superior then iron or reciver sights.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
For those not wanting to use "irons" due to age, eyesight, experience, etc., and scope mounting is an issue, take a look at Turnbull's base which will permit using a Burris FastFire II dot sight. Certainly not a traditional system for the subject rifle, but does solve some problems in sighting issues. Turnbulls base can be had for 71, 86 and I believe 94 as well.

Posts: 1328 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 19 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Not to put too fine a point on it...but NO..they're not. They're a top-ejecting PEDERSOLI. For that kind of money..I'd recommend patiently searching for an original Winchester, std. grade...with some character over an import knock-off.

Posts: 953 | Location: Florida | Registered: 17 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Not to put too fine a point on it...but NO..they're not. They're a top-ejecting PEDERSOLI. For that kind of money..I'd recommend patiently searching for an original Winchester, std. grade...with some character over an import knock-off.

+1 to what that man said!

Posts: 6815 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I should have said winchester style

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by SR4759:
quote:

Using a scope is a priority in real life they are faster allow for better shot placement.

If they don't do that for you You need to learn to use a scope properly.

I am sure none of your rifles have scopes right I guess you should take all your scopes and throw them away. Because iron and reciever sights are so superior to scopes get a life.

Learning to use a reciever sight as nothing to do with having poorer eye sight.

Or trying to shoot in low light long distances on small targets.

Picking holes to shoot through in brush and woods.

There are many reasons a scope is so much superior then iron or reciver sights.

pee dog

Don't be a retard
Yeah scopes are good for that so what.
You sound like they are a pacifier you cannot live without.
I swapped a rod and reel for my first scope about 1964. I have many, many scopes now most of them Leupolds including up to 24X and 36X BR scopes. And yes I know how to use them having shot deer, crows, armadillos, possums, skunks, coyotes, squirrels, fox, and jack rabbits etc with them. Sometimes the critter was running.

But if they prevent you from enjoying a nice rifle then they are defeating the purpose.
The purpose is not to build your shooting life around a stinking scope. The purpose is to have a nice rifle and shoot it. You can do that well with a receiver sight. I have been using them since 1960. The work well. I also know how to shoot 1" groups from a bench rest with a tang sight.
Grow up, learn new things, take on new challenges. Anyone can kill a prairie dog.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I belive I brought my frist scope around 68 used them a few years earlier then that.

They were a vast improvement over the peep and iron sights that used I never looked back.

The purpose is to have a nice rifle and shoot it and I might add hit what your shooting at.

How many p dogs have you shot out past 300 yards with a peep

Shooting good groups off a bench isn't hard nor on a well lite range with a nice black bull to aim at. Been there done that.

Buy the rifles if you want I've turned down lots of nice rifles because they were not scope freindly. Thats my choice More for you to buy

If scopes sink so much why to you own so many

Could be that for most things a scope rifle is better.

I hope you injoy all your peeps and iron sights they are not for me or lots of other people

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think I'm with you Pdog, I've done some okay stuff with my Peepsighted model 95 this year, but it gets left in the safe most of the time in favor of a scope sighted rifle.

Next year, it will sport a scout setup.

Plus call me odd, but I just a soon have a copy that fuctions as well as an orginal, if I can have it now. The gun's personal history means little to me in comparsion to what it will do.

Posts: 3494 | Location: Des Allemands, La. | Registered: 17 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
p dog shooter; just how many 300 yd pdogs do you think you'll shoot at with a 45-70 or 444 Marlin in a lever action rifle?

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by A7drvr:
p dog shooter; just how many 300 yd pdogs do you think you'll shoot at with a 45-70 or 444 Marlin in a lever action rifle?

I belive the ref was to all scopes a 460gr cast does a fine job at 50 yards

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have shot several prairie dogs with Mike Brady's Winchester 1895 in 405 WCF with the standard iron sights and factory Hornady ammo.

I liked his rifle so much I bought one for myself.
I have taken a few deer with it last year and this year.

However there have been a couple of times, both early in the am, and late in the evening that I could not take a shot, because I had the 405.
If I would have had a scoped rifle I could have killed the deer or pigs.

I view hunting with an iron sighted rifle to be kinda like hunting with a handgun, black powder or a bow.

You are choosing to hunt with a more "primitive" weapon, and you thus except what ever limitations it has.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Oops, forgot to say none of the prairie dogs were "quite" 300 yards. Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by N E 450 No2:
I have shot several prairie dogs with Mike Brady's Winchester 1895 in 405 WCF with the standard iron sights and factory Hornady ammo.

I liked his rifle so much I bought one for myself.
I have taken a few deer with it last year and this year.

However there have been a couple of times, both early in the am, and late in the evening that I could not take a shot, because I had the 405.
If I would have had a scoped rifle I could have killed the deer or pigs.

I view hunting with an iron sighted rifle to be kinda like hunting with a handgun, black powder or a bow.

You are choosing to hunt with a more "primitive" weapon, and you thus except what ever limitations it has.

I can understand the above and that was my initial view as well. But mine in 30/06 just wants to shoot good so bad, I can't hold it back any longer.

But my hat's off to you, for doing it the hard way.

Posts: 3494 | Location: Des Allemands, La. | Registered: 17 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have thought about putting apeep sight on my 1895, but as it is a take down I am unsure how good a reciever sight would work with the take down barrel.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I presently have a peep on my takedown and it works rather well, except in low light. Don't think you would have any problems with it.

One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
NE 450 No2,
I have receiver peep sights two Winchester takedown rifles, a 1892TD and 1895TD and a tang peep on my 1886TD and they all work fine.
The 1895 .405TD

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have trouble imagining something I would hunt with an '86, original or clone; in 45-70 that would require a scope.

1. they aren't long range rifles in any venue I have ever heard of.

2. the 45-70 is not a long range cartridge in the context of a hunting rifle.

It would be like entering one of the Budweiser Clydesdales in the Kentucky Derby.

regards,

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
I have trouble imagining something I would hunt with an '86, original or clone; in 45-70 that would require a scope.

1. they aren't long range rifles in any venue I have ever heard of.

2. the 45-70 is not a long range cartridge in the context of a hunting rifle.

It would be like entering one of the Budweiser Clydesdales in the Kentucky Derby.

regards,

Rich

I can think of a lot of situations where a scope made the differants between a kill and the critter getting away even at fairly close range.

Like in poor light, a brown critter against brown grass, treading the bullet through a small hole in the brush.

On my 45-70 I have a 1.5x 4 leupold. Like One time when I had to wack the yote at 110 yards that I could make out in the scope put could just see movement with the naked eye.

If you want to handicap your self go at it. If I want to do that I use bows and hand guns.

If I really want to kill something I use a scoped rifle.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I can think of a lot of situations where a scope made the differants between a kill and the critter getting away even at fairly close range.

Perhaps if you hung out with some good shooters, they could give you some instruction.

And practice would be good.

There's no shame in recognizing your problem and asking for help.

I love this thread .........

Posts: 50 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 15 December 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ramsgate:
quote:

Perhaps if you hung out with some good shooters, they could give you some instruction.

LOL thats about as funny as it gets.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ramsgate:
quote:

That is funny, maybe it's the air up there.

I'm 61 when I look down the barrel I see two beads kinda merged together. I can make do with that at close range, in good light, on a standing animal, but I want to make my 95 my primary hunting rifle, to do that I'll need a scope.

One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
Rich,
A friend of mine (for his own reasons) fabricated a scout scope mount for his Miroku made 1886 E Land fitted it with a QD leupold mounts and Leupold scope.
He also fitted the 1886 EL with a receiver sight that could be quickly removed.
This is a nice rig and he has taken a lot of game with both sight configurations and when he travels he always takes backup sights along.

There was an elaborate thread on this rifle and rig over on Leverguns.com a few years back and if I can locate it, I will post the links.

BTW, I believe that iron sights and optical sights have a place in our wide world of shooting and that individual shooters should use whichever best suits them, their rifles, and hunting conditions and game.

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
Wouldn't it be sweet to have a hunting rifle which is a .300 WSM on a Model 88 action?

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Alberta Canuck:
Wouldn't it be sweet to have a hunting rifle which is a .300 WSM on a Model 88 action?

Yes I am real surpized that when you go to a Manufactors web site they don't have a I would like link.

Where people would post what they would like to see in the marget place.

Seems to me in the computer age they could get some good and fine ideas for products.

one of us
Picture of The Dane
posted Hide Post
This thread seems like a contest.

Who's winning?

Posts: 1102 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 15 October 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Larry M.; I'm 67 and have the same problem with seeing two beads. Since I'm right handed I always sight-in and aim with the one on the right; works for me! Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by A7drvr:
Larry M.; I'm 67 and have the same problem with seeing two beads. Since I'm right handed I always sight-in and aim with the one on the right; works for me! Big Grin

I sometimes see three heads and always aims for the one in the middle... hilbily

DRSS: HQ Scandinavia. Chapters in Sweden & Norway

Posts: 2805 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 09 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well at least I'm not alone. I can see very well with my left eye, so I've attempted to learn to shoot lefthanded. I can shoot pretty well, but have problems working the action.

One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
Wow

This thread got way off topic....

I like the looks of these firearms and I would probably would install a peep on whatever I bought.

Cal30

If it cant be Grown it has to be Mined! Devoted member of Newmont mining company Underground Mine rescue team. Carlin East,Deep Star ,Leeville,Deep Post ,Chukar and now Exodus Where next? Pete Bajo to train newbies on long hole stoping and proper blasting techniques.
Back to Exodus mine again learning teaching and operating autonomous loaders in the underground. Bringing everyday life to most individuals 8' at a time!

Posts: 3071 | Location: Northern Nevada & Northern Idaho | Registered: 09 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't see why someone wants to hunt with a large caliber levergun, with its inherent range and sighting limitations, when you want or feel you have to have a scope. It seems much like having a dump truck and to keep trying to turn it into sprint car. Or putting laser sights on a longbow. I understand the why and ease of scopes, and use and like them, but scopes on leverguns look as good as scopes on flintlocks. Big Grin

There are billions of bolt guns out there that are easily scoped in every imaginable caliber, cars that can be readily adapted to racing, and high tech compounds with all the bells and whistles.

This is America and thankfully we still have freedoms. With that I wouldn't be surprised someday to see someone put a 12-42X scope on a flintlock. I sure love peep sights on my levers, and they still work very well with my 55 year old eyes and the natural limitations that a large caliber traditional levergun has.

To the subject of this thread...I have been seriously looking at the Pedersoli 86/71 in .45-70. I owned a Winchester 71 and still have a Browning 71. I really like the .348, but a matching rifle in .45-70 sounds like lots of fun. $1600 to have a 71 clone in .45-70 is lots cheaper than having a gunsmith make one up for you.

"Be kind and polite to everyone you meet. But have a plan on how to kill them." From an old Marine.

Posts: 81 | Location: Montana | Registered: 30 January 2006Reply With Quote