THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LEVER ACTION RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Lever Action Rifles    ghost ring rear sight for Marlin 1895
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

ghost ring rear sight for Marlin 1895
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm looking at puting a Ghost ring aperture on my 45-70 Anybody had any exp wtith these sights?Good bad or other?Also fitting easy or nightmare?

all times wasted wot's not spent shootin

Posts: 569 | Location: Flinders Ranges. South Australia | Registered: 26 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
I use the standard Lyman or Williams peep sight and remove the screw in apeture. This gives a larger hole --if you will ghost ring. It also allows me to screw back in the apeture for target work testing new reloading recipes.

Posts: 5713 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
disciple, I have the XS ghost ring on my 1895CB. I like it a lot better than the factory buckhorn and brass bead that was on it. You can not get minute accuracy with such a large aperture. I am new to reloading and still working on loads for mine, but with the ghost rings I can shoot 2" groups at 100 yards which is fine for me at this time. If you decide to get them, be sure to order the right ones. I ordered the wrong one, the rear ring was the same, but the front was for a Marlin gun with a front ramp where as I have a dovetail. I called XS Sights the next day and they shipped the correct front sight to me and included an envelope to return the other one to them. Overall I like it.

Wes

----
Towards danger; but not too rashly, nor too straight

Posts: 100 | Location: Tampa | Registered: 05 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've got the Wild West Guns rear sight on my Guide Gun, it's OK. Durable enough to beat a bear to death with and not lose zero. But adjustments are all dovetails with itty bitty set screws, not real repeatable.

I helped a buddy put a set of XS sights on his GG and I think they're a better setup. Look plenty tough enough for the real world and a bit cheaper in price but no less quality.

Either rifle can stay on a 6" steel plate at 100yds.

hth

Rick

Rick R
Of all the things I've lost in life, I miss my mind the most.

Posts: 162 | Location: On top of a mountain in WV | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Both my Marlins have XS ghost rings on them - an 1894 .44 Mag and my .450 Marlin GG. I swear by the Ghost Rings - they're simple, rugged and very well made (solid steel). You can order smaller sized apertures for the XS sights or they also make one that has a threaded inner aperture so you can screw in the smaller target apertures for fine/detail shooting.

They are far superior to the factory sights the Marlins come equipped with.

PS: Fitting is very easy - couldn't be simpler to install. They use the existing screw holes on the gun (use loctite on the threads when you install them).

.22 LR Ruger M77/22
30-06 Ruger M77/MkII
.375 H&H Ruger RSM

Posts: 863 | Location: Mtns of the Desert Southwest, USA | Registered: 26 February 2004Reply With Quote