New
Find
Notify
Tools

Winchester 1886 Miroku
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Just picked up a NIB 1886 by Winchester/Miroku. It has a 26 octagon barrel, crescent butt and straight grip. I paid $900.00 for it. It was a spur of the moment purchase. What do you guys think? Did I get taken or was this a good deal? Looking at online prices it looks like a good deal. Please share any info you have on this rifle. Thanks.

BTW: I also got a 1951 model 94 that would rate about 90% for $300 from the same guy.

Posts: 136 | Location: USA | Registered: 06 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not sure why you would ask us if you got a good deal after you already bought it? Besides, this is the internet and everyone always gets a better deal than anyone else. I have seen similar examples NIB go from $800 to 1,200.
Personally I am not a fan of these rifles if they have a crescent butt as the recoil can be brutal.
Plan on having your gunsmith open up the throat as they basically don't have one as they come from the factory.
Good rifles as I have several.

Posts: 282 | Location: Foothills of the Rocky's | Registered: 04 June 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I asked because it was a spur of the moment purchase. I only planned to buy the 94. I never buy before I research a gun but this time I did. Maybe I made a mistake? I don't know. As far as the crescent butt, they are fine if you hold them properly.

Thanks for the heads up on the throat. I'll have it checked out.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Some shooters claim to have issues with the rebounding hammer. Seems pretty common to post online about how they are no good.

However, haven't had any problems with the rifles I personally shot. Sometimes it makes me wonder how much is internet gossip vs actual owners claiming to own rifles with issues.

Posts: 282 | Location: Foothills of the Rocky's | Registered: 04 June 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
Homebrew,
You done good. Does it look something like my .45-90 below?

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Except for the tang sight it looks the same.

One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
Then you have a very good rifle!
The Marbles Tang Peep folds down to lock out of the way with a little wood removal from the front of the comb.

The Marbles folding barrel siught is used for close range shooting and folds down for use of the tang sight.

DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
PS Do not worry about the steel butt plate - mount it correctly with the lower tip in your arm pit and it cannot hurt you - let it puch you around while you work the lever and you can make a very fast second shot recovery.
Do take care when shooting from a bench rest not to mount it on your shoulder .
I recommend you start with a few cowboy action loads until you get the mounting down pat.
When testing HEAVY hand loads, consider a Lead Sled.

DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
You got a good deal and these are fine rifles. Lead Sled? should be banned; good only for breaking stocks. And you will not have a lead sled when shooting at game.

Posts: 17178 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
dpcd
You are a better man than I if you can shoot 50 + rounds from the bench of 450 grain 2150 fps rounds of 45-90 without a little help from a recoil absorber ( we have never had any damage to stock or rifles when using padding between butt plate and base) . And that was only one of many loads we tried before sending the rifle to Africa for bullet testing. Even the 300 grain Nosler partition protected point bullets at 2200 - 2600 fps (highest we went with them) give you a pop from a bench rest.
BTW, They are the bees knees for Leopard! Cool

Agreed on hunting - shooting off hand(standing on your hind legs) the recoil is absorbed by the body rotation and barrel rise; I never get a bruise or sore shoulder.

DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at

One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
The 1886 & 71 winchester lever action rifles are great guns,I have a 475 Turnbull,a 450 Alaskan & a 45-90 take down,next to my double rifles,I really enjoy these guns,I am planning my next African safari & will be shooting some DG with lever actions Big Grin

crshelton,has been a big help in helping me to pick out suitable bullets for the job,he is only one of the few that knows & understands how to shoot a curved buttplate properly,his experience is very much appreciated Smiler

DRSS

Posts: 2277 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
Bill73,
Let us know how your levergun DG works out - my bet is you put the right bullet in the right spot and you have a trophy in no time.
My 45-90 has taken an ele, a leopard, and multiple cape buff + various game in the US.
My 1895 .405 has taken a cape buff, wart hog + various game in the US.
If mine will do it, so will yours. Smiler

DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Homebrew, you did well. Go to Gun Broker or other sites and you'll see they sell considerably higher than that.

Posts: 20139 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 470Evans
posted Hide Post
I had one in the extra lightweight version with a shotgun butt and a straight stock. It was a very well built rifle and shot great. Unfortunately, like a lot of my guns lately it went on down to the road to help fund a house on the ranch.

I think you did well.

Posts: 1311 | Location: Texas | Registered: 29 August 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
You would not get mine away for $900. You would get laughed out of the room. You did very well.

http://i296.photobucket.com/al...ter1/1212340605.jpg‪

Posts: 5708 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A friend has already offered $1,200 to take it off my hands. I declined. I think I am really going to enjoy this rifle. I will get her on the range this weekend.

One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
Homebrew,
Here is a little something to get you fired up about hunting with that new .45-70:

http://www.wideopenspaces.com/...n-45-70-africa-pics/

The author has been there and done that.

DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Homebrew:
A friend has already offered $1,200 to take it off my hands. I declined. I think I am really going to enjoy this rifle. I will get her on the range this weekend.

You will be hooked!

one of us
posted Hide Post
"Here is a little something to get you fired up about hunting with that new .45-70:

http://www.wideopenspaces.com/...n-45-70-africa-pics/

The author has been there and done that."

That does get the heart pumping. Planning a trip to Africa in a few years. Planned on taking the .416 Rigby and either a 7 mm mag or .338 win mag. After viewing this I may have to rethink that.

one of us
posted Hide Post
And yes, Buckeye Shooter, I am hooked!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on that Lever.

John
Retired husband & grandpa

"Life brings sorrow and joy alike. It is what a man does with them - not what they do to him - that is the test of his mettle." T. Roosevelt

Posts: 87 | Location: On permanent vacation in the South West  | Registered: 02 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
welcome to the addiction!